Camino per Santiago de Compostela: From Baiona to Vigo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Vigo
September 18th 2023
Published: September 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Only about two weeks before we left we had decided to go for a walking holiday, along the pelegrin’s route to Santiago de Compostela. Out of a 14-day holiday we planned to spend 8 days walking. Choosing the “Camino Portugues de la Costa“ we started in the lovely town of Baiona. Few years back we had been there already once and always wanted to return to the beautiful green and lavish landscape of Galicia facing the wild Atlantic ocean.

Arriving in the rain, walking around in the port area and then enjoying a great dinner at la Boqueria with “Pimiento de Padron“, “Polpo a la Gallega”, Croquetas con Jamon and rice with vegetables we got ready for the walking day.

The day started in the rain. Along with other raincoats ”pelerinas” on the pilgrim’s route quickly the spirit of the community walking the road fascinated us. Leaving Baiona, greetings, smiles and comments from locals meeting us with “buon camino” and ”venga con Dios” as well as short conversations en route with other ”pilgrims”. Paved roads and gravel made a change on the road we walked on. We decided to follow along the coast, not the historic way but the one with unforgettable scenery of the marsh lands being dominated by the tides.

After having passed the beach of America, we arrived at the nice place with a name we remembered from our first trip to Galicia: Panxo. Following the beach we had to find a way to get of the coast full of rocks and find a way back to the official route. On the top of the hill we waited for a person following us. It was Brian from the UK who finally was with us for the whole way into the center of Vigo. This experienced walker and pilgrim told us many story he had seen or heard on several of his tips to Santiago. Now the first time from the South.

Crossing forests and following rivers made it possible to get into the biggest city of Galicia without feeling so much city until the last 2 kilometers. In total it had been 31 km the first day, more than we expected but a bit extended by a choice of routes following an unforgettable scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb