Relaxing in Santiago


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
July 20th 2013
Published: July 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Holy Door Holy Door Holy Door

Only opened during Holy Years. I'm not sure when the next one is. This is the backside of the Cathedral, in a great square called Quintana. Has nice cafes.
Today was a needed day of rest. I had no real plans and no real sights to see. Mainly just wandered around town, went into some stores, revisited the Cathedral a couple of times, and especially had a good time sitting at the cafes watching people, reading, and overall just taking a break.

Santiago is a great city for this rest because it truly is on the end of the pilgrimage route, and all day you see pilgrims stumbling into town, ready to get rid of their packs and walking sticks, and just sit down and celebrate their accomplishment. Actually, traditionally, pilgrims would burn their clothes on the roof of the Cathedral. But this was less celebratory, and more necessary back in the day of rampant diseases and really smelly pilgrims. It makes me wonder, though... were there once a lot of naked pilgrims walking around?

This evening I did have a memorable experience back at the Cathedral, when I dropped by for the 7 o'clock Mass. Truly brought the church to life to see it being used for its actual purpose. And especially magically given the choir singing in the galleries above. Truly sounded angelic.

Tomorrow I
Another Pregnant MaryAnother Pregnant MaryAnother Pregnant Mary

Only seen here in Galicia. From a smaller church attached to a monastery. Walked in while a nun was going mad playing an organ solo for like 10 minutes.
begin my week-long bus journey down the big cities of the Camino, before I think finally arriving in Madrid by Friday or so. Should be enjoyable, and relatively low key.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Backside of CathedralBackside of Cathedral
Backside of Cathedral

Another overcast day. From Plaza Quintana. Great cafe where the white umbrellas are.
Pimientos Tapas Pimientos Tapas
Pimientos Tapas

The Spanish love tapas, or little appetizer like dishes. These were great - little grilled pimientos, with a little bread, and a beer. Great combo.
My HotelMy Hotel
My Hotel

On the upper floor, with the green shutters, in the middle. Great room, and with a great view. And such nice owners.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb