Bus to Leon


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » León
July 21st 2013
Published: July 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Leon CathedralLeon CathedralLeon Cathedral

Smaller church. Finally a Gothic one too. All about height and light. So you have pointed arches and buttresses to take the weight off the walls. Can put in glass now.
Set off bright and early, though it was very overcast and cold in Santiago, on the 6 hour bus journey southeast to Leon. The route largely follows the Camino, though for awhile we veered off to the towns of A Coruna and Lugo. Had a prime viewing seat, too - right behind the driver. For better or worse, sometimes it's nice not knowing what the driver does, or doesn't do, I loved seeing the scenery change.

In Galicia, like I said, it's like Seattle, with lush mountains and lots of rain. This lasted until about the mountain-top town of O Cebriero - which really is like a little hobbit village, with tiny houses, and for some reason really small locals hobbling around. Time does not seem to exist here. From this town you leave the mountains behind, and wind down through a valley to the hotter plains below. This is where Leon is, on more of an arid plain. Today, in Leon, it was actually the hottest I've felt so far in Spain, probably being around 90 degrees or so.

I'm sure most people are probably thinking that all I do is go around from church to church. That's
Rose Window Close-UpRose Window Close-UpRose Window Close-Up

Church is dedicated to Mary. Can only put in such a big window because of buttresses on the side. Big deal back then.
actually very true - but there's a reason. The history of Europe, I think, is largely written in its grand cathedrals. I also think that pretty much everything else has changed, the houses and the people surrounding them have all vanished, but there they are, the cathedrals, though a bit changed here and there, still stand. They've observed history and are truly part and parcel of it. The cathedrals are history embodied. And, in such a hardcore Roman Catholic country like Spain, there's really just no escaping them.

Leon, too, has one of the best, mainly because it's so unique. It's not big per se, but has the best stained glass outside Chartres in France (which I'll visit in 3 weeks or so). And what's also cool about this church is how inventive the architects were when they designed the glass. How the light hits the church tells the Christian narrative. Giant Christ glass is right over the altar, which always faces East, towards Jerusalem. So, in the morning, Christ is literally reborn and sheds his light into the church. Then, as the day proceeds, Old and New Testament glass lights up along the nave, revealing the history that
Center Door CarvingsCenter Door CarvingsCenter Door Carvings

Called the tympanum. Right above Mary there's a Last Judgment scene, with Michael weighing souls. Those on the right are saved, the left sent to hell.
ultimately leads to a giant Rose Window featuring Mary, where the sun goes down. It's brilliant, a story told in light. I don't care what people say, the Dark Ages were truly anything but dark.

Tomorrow I see a few more sights here in Leon before hopping another bus a couple of hours farther east, right along the Camino, to Burgos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Sent to HellSent to Hell
Sent to Hell

Michael is on the very left. And here are the demons that meet the damned.
Brilliant OrderingBrilliant Ordering
Brilliant Ordering

The windows closest to the floor feature the natural world. Those at the top are Biblical. The windows go from the ground up, literally.
Natural World WindowNatural World Window
Natural World Window

Right near the floor. Shows plant life and humans in the little designs above.
Brighter New Testament WindowsBrighter New Testament Windows
Brighter New Testament Windows

At the top, heavenward. Lighter and brighter because the New Testament is about Christ.
Darker Old Testament WindowsDarker Old Testament Windows
Darker Old Testament Windows

Still at the top, but darker colors, because the Old Testament only prefigures Christ.
Christ Windows Above AltarChrist Windows Above Altar
Christ Windows Above Altar

Light up in the morning, when the rising sun also gives birth again to Christ.
Gothic HeightGothic Height
Gothic Height

Slender columns compared to those heavy, thick Romanesque ones before.
Another PietaAnother Pieta
Another Pieta

Another sad Mary holding Christ after he's taken down from the Cross.
Cloister ViewCloister View
Cloister View

Good view of the buttresses that make a Gothic church possible.
Creaky Wooden StepsCreaky Wooden Steps
Creaky Wooden Steps

Have a great hotel. These are the windy wooden steps that are slanted and seem like they're going to slide right off the wall.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb