"The Way" to Santiago de Compostela, Spain - we took the easy way!


Advertisement
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
June 10th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I’m sitting on the boat with a howling gale of over 30 knots going on outside. The boat is rocking from side to side and the wind generators are having a field day. The best part is I’m in a protected harbor tied up to a dock at the yacht club marina. Since there’s absolutely nothing else I can do and I have exhausted all projects (that I want to do at least!), personal hygiene issues and a ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Some of the CryptsSome of the Crypts
Some of the Crypts

The wall of crypts remain at the far end of the Bonaval Park.
On Our WalkOn Our Walk
On Our Walk

Our return from the walk to the Bonaval Park led us through numerous archways such as this.
Intricate IronworkIntricate Ironwork
Intricate Ironwork

Glassed in porches exist here as well – these have quite intricate ironwork as well.
Granite Blocks for RoadwaysGranite Blocks for Roadways
Granite Blocks for Roadways

Large granite blocks are used for the walkways and roads here which indicate the easy access to granite in this area.
What Is It? Not mentioned in the tourist informationWhat Is It? Not mentioned in the tourist information
What Is It? Not mentioned in the tourist information

This large ferris-wheel type structure (without the seats) stands out due to its size. In researching we found it had been installed for a previous Pilgrim Festival a few years ago. Note that this is much taller than the neighboring trees and rooftops.
The Entrance to Fonseca CollegeThe Entrance to Fonseca College
The Entrance to Fonseca College

How do you like this for an entrance and courtyard for the Colegio de Fonseca (Fonseca College)?
Traditional Pilgrim GarbTraditional Pilgrim Garb
Traditional Pilgrim Garb

There was a pilgrim that was dressed in traditional garb complete with the shell on his hat. If you wanted you could buy the traditional clothes at a shop here as well.
On Our ReturnOn Our Return
On Our Return

When we returned to the boat in Cangas we saw this traditional rowing boat returning from their day on the water.
Our trip to SantiagoOur trip to Santiago
Our trip to Santiago

We enjoyed our travels through this part of Spain between Cangas and Santiago.



20th June 2013

I too recently saw "The Way"...
and being a goal oriented person was inspired to walk the pilgrims' trail. The attendant who pushed my wheel chair (I was still recovering from a broken ankle) on to my recent from from London to DFW had just finished the 800 km walk in 30 days. We had a chance to talk about his experience, which further inspired me. However, with my weaken ankle I didn't know whether I was physically up to it. Your picture of the various "Ways" turned a light bulb on in my brain. The English Way is very short, but the Original Way isn't that much longer and is the original one after all. I think I could do that! Thanks for posting that picture...do you know in which town it starts?
20th June 2013

Info on the various ways to do "The Way"
http://www.santiagoturismo.com/ Bob - glad you have been inspired in many ways - good luck and keep us posted in your plans - check out the website and click on the tab for the Way of St James - it will give you lots of info for those wanting to do it. Best wishes & hope your ankle is doing better.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb