"The Way" to Santiago de Compostela, Spain - we took the easy way!


Advertisement
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
June 10th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I’m sitting on the boat with a howling gale of over 30 knots going on outside. The boat is rocking from side to side and the wind generators are having a field day. The best part is I’m in a protected harbor tied up to a dock at the yacht club marina. Since there’s absolutely nothing else I can do and I have exhausted all projects (that I want to do at least!), personal hygiene issues and a ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Square Where the Pilgrims ComeThe Square Where the Pilgrims Come
The Square Where the Pilgrims Come

The square in front of the Cathedral where many of the newly arrived pilgrims are as you can see by the backpacks since on their back. Some have arrived by bicycle as well – many collapse and lay on the ground when they arrive.
The Cathedral of St. JamesThe Cathedral of St. James
The Cathedral of St. James

The impressive entrance to the Cathedral with its double staircase built in the 17th century. The towers attained their 74 meter ( 243 ft.) height in the mid-18th century.
The Hostal de los Reyes CatolicosThe Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos
The Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos

It was built in 1501 as the Catholic Monarchs saw the need for better health care for the residents and pilgrims. In 1954 it became a hostel- always a place of hospitality.
Celtic InfluenceCeltic Influence
Celtic Influence

The influence of the Celtics that had lived in this area is heard through the music of the bagpipes which are typically joined with drums and tambourines.
Hard to Capture it AllHard to Capture it All
Hard to Capture it All

It is difficult to capture the full extent of the Cathedral. The clock tower is the one located to the far right.
The Town HallThe Town Hall
The Town Hall

A view down the front archways of the Palicio de Raxoi, the final building to enclose the square in the 18th century. It originally housed the boys of the Cathedral choir, then became a prison before becoming Santiago’s City Council Town Hall and houses the Galicia’s President Office.
Sharing the CrumbsSharing the Crumbs
Sharing the Crumbs

Janice couldn’t stop humming the song “Feed the Birds” while Bob decided to share his bread with the pigeons in the square.
Carrying the Weight of the WorldCarrying the Weight of the World
Carrying the Weight of the World

Hercules is carrying the weight of the world in the sculpture on this building that is currently housing an art museum.
One of ManyOne of Many
One of Many

You sometimes have to stop to think about who has walked through these squares so many years ago.
The Bishop's TombThe Bishop's Tomb
The Bishop's Tomb

The tomb of the bishop who recognized the remains of St. James, the Apostle which was the beginning of Santiago as a pilgrimage site.
St James as a PilgrimSt James as a Pilgrim
St James as a Pilgrim

Here the statute of St. James shows him in typical pilgrimage garments complete with the scallop shell, hat, staff and cape.
Well Used StepsWell Used Steps
Well Used Steps

One of many squares you walk through as you visit Santiago. The tall wall is one side of what had been a convent.
The 12 DisciplesThe 12 Disciples
The 12 Disciples

On one side of the cathedral there is this wall of sculptures of the 12 disciples.
A Wealthy Resident Lived HereA Wealthy Resident Lived Here
A Wealthy Resident Lived Here

The residence were typically on the 2nd story and those of wealth had their coat of arms placed on the front of the building for all to see.
The Narrowest Alley In The CityThe Narrowest Alley In The City
The Narrowest Alley In The City

We were told this was the narrowest alleyway in Santiago so of course we had to show you its size.
Remains of Defensive WallRemains of Defensive Wall
Remains of Defensive Wall

The one remaining part of the wall that had once surrounded this city.
Ramains of MonesteryRamains of Monestery
Ramains of Monestery

The Bonaval Park is located on the remains of the Convent of Santo Domingo de Bonaval. They add to the beauty of the area and help frame some of the views.
Water FeaturesWater Features
Water Features

One of the many water features which are located in Bonaval Park – the sound of water running from one height to another through numerous pipes and aquaducts was both interesting and soothing.
Adding ColorAdding Color
Adding Color

The plantings in the garden located in the Bonaval Park added to the experience.
View from Bonaval ParkView from Bonaval Park
View from Bonaval Park

Looking at the city of Santiago as we walk through Bonaval Park.



20th June 2013

I too recently saw "The Way"...
and being a goal oriented person was inspired to walk the pilgrims' trail. The attendant who pushed my wheel chair (I was still recovering from a broken ankle) on to my recent from from London to DFW had just finished the 800 km walk in 30 days. We had a chance to talk about his experience, which further inspired me. However, with my weaken ankle I didn't know whether I was physically up to it. Your picture of the various "Ways" turned a light bulb on in my brain. The English Way is very short, but the Original Way isn't that much longer and is the original one after all. I think I could do that! Thanks for posting that picture...do you know in which town it starts?
20th June 2013

Info on the various ways to do "The Way"
http://www.santiagoturismo.com/ Bob - glad you have been inspired in many ways - good luck and keep us posted in your plans - check out the website and click on the tab for the Way of St James - it will give you lots of info for those wanting to do it. Best wishes & hope your ankle is doing better.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb