Trip to Portugal


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

BarcelonaBarcelonaBarcelona

We were lacking on pictures this night. We finally got a vino opener though, very exciting!! This was in our hostel before heading out to the Brazilian night out. Good times!
Barcelona --» Madrid --» Santiago de Compostale

We didn't plan on spending the night in Barcelona, however, we couldn't get a night train to Madrid that day. We plan on going to Barcelona with Erin and Rachel (cousin and friend from home) in May, so we thought we'd save it for when they arrive! However, when you are 'forced' to stay in Barcelona, only good things can come from it. We arrived around dinner time and met an Aussie on our train. He showed us the hostel he was staying at, because it was a good price. We pretty much followed him around for an hour trying to find it. Once we arrived, we soon found out that the hostel was in a great location and full of high-energy people. We didn't want to drink that night, but we really couldn't 'not' get into the feel of this hostel. Plus.. we were in Barcelona! We went out and got some crackers, cheese, apples and vino for dinner and ate it back at the hostel. We met tons of really great people, mostly Aussies, who we decided to go out with that night. It was a really strange feeling staying in a hostel again, but we dove right into it. We went out to a bar that was themed 'Brazilian Night'.. we don't really know why, but it was a really fun night out. And cheap because we just drank before the bar, this is key.

Early the next morning, about 6am, we hopped on a train and headed to Madrid. We spent a few hours in the town, working on our travelblog, and got on a night train to arrive in Santiago de Compostale the next morning. We were lucky enough to get a couch surfer to host us in Santiago, and he was an amazing guy! He was from Brazil and had another roomate from Brazil as well. His name was Tiago, funny enough. He was doing his masters for Tourism so luckily we had an amazing tour of the city. He picked us up at 7am and we went back to his apartment for a nap... well needed. It had been a long night of traveling. We woke and met him in the city for a tour, in between his work and school classes. He brought us to a famous church where Saint James was burried. We
Cathedral del ApostalCathedral del ApostalCathedral del Apostal

Where Saint James was buried. Every holy year, pilgrims and Catholics come from all over the world to this church.
wandered around town and saw all the pilgrims roaming about. Next, Tiago brought us to a beautiful park where all his Brazilian friends were playing 'football'.. or what we know as soccer. After the game, we went to a local pub for a few drinks, realized it was about 10pm and we hadn't had dinner yet so headed home to make some pasta!

The next day we decided to have a very relaxing day. We had a sleep in, which was wonderful! We then went back to the same park with Tiago's roomate, Marcus. We read and wrote in our journals by the park. It was a beautiful park but a little scary because it used to be a grave yard. Weird! After, we wandered around town and had some gelato ice cream. So amazing! Later that night we went to see Tiago play in his band. They were so awesome and we had the best night! We met up with all his Brazilian friends and partied until the sun rose, which is apparently normal for these crazy people.

The next evening we took a bus down to Vigo, just North of Portugal. We spent the night in
BeautifulBeautifulBeautiful

Santiago is a very rare city in Spain because it is full of green green and more greenery
a little cheap pension and woke up early the next day to get a train down to Port, Portugal.

Once again, these aren't all the pictures, we'll upload them asap!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Famous Holy DoorFamous Holy Door
Famous Holy Door

Pilgrims and Catholics come from all over the world to clear their sins by walking through this door... only on Holy years. Next year is a holy year and they expect 11 million visitors.
Spanish girls playingSpanish girls playing
Spanish girls playing

They were too cute!
Tiago and EmTiago and Em
Tiago and Em

Fighting over beer
Park Park
Park

The park we went to where it used to be a grave yard. There was a part which still had crypts.. kind of creeeeepy.
Gremlin!Gremlin!
Gremlin!

There was a gremlin under the bridge, growling at Jennie. We didn't even notice until afterwards, you've gotta watch out for those gremlins!!
Tiago Tiago
Tiago

Playing in his band. He was the amazing singer!
againagain
again

This pub was so much fun and got so busy. They played every wednesday night.
TiagoTiago
Tiago

The singer!
TiagoTiago
Tiago

Loving his new present, from his fans!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 24; qc: 28; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb