Best days sailing - La Coruna to Portosin in Ria de Muros


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » La Coruña
August 10th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had the boat well and truly prepared for what had the potential to be a long day trip down the coast. We had set our passage plans to stay quite wide off the coast to stay away from any potential lee shores and try and avoid any fishing nets that might be laid out. We had spoken to quite a few yachties that had come from the south who had had nets caught in their prop and by all accounts, not a good experience and one we always try as hard as we can to avoid at all costs.

We left the marina at 8.30am after getting the latest weather forecast which showed we might get a bit stronger winds around the Cape but at least they were pointing us in the right direction. We were able to hoist the sails as soon as we got clear water and under clear sunny skies we headed out of La Coruna Harbour. This was the first time since I don’t know when that we were actually able to sail straight away and we had a small windward sail getting out of the harbour and turn to the west south west, heading
Hercules - Not!!Hercules - Not!!Hercules - Not!!

Leaving La Coruna
past and saying goodbye to the Tower of Hercules.

We had a bit of wind for a while and it was looking promising for a nice reach down the coast. Debs took the helm and was doing a great job keeping the boat on course in a bit of a rolly swell with not a lot of wind to help her along. As we had a long way to go we decided to kick the engine into gear and get moving and make up as much passage as we could.

We had these conditions until about 11.00am and the wind started to pick up again to the headie was unfurled and the engine switched off. We started to pick up a little bit of current to assist us as well and we started to make pretty good time. We passed the bolt holes of Corme and Lage and continued to head south west with the winds starting to build.

The boat was sailing incredibly well and we had wind at about 120’ with a slight sea and she was starting to really motor along. The sun was shining and it was just brilliant sailing conditions.

We were abeam of Cabo Villano about 1500 hours which is where the turning point for Ria de Camarinas is so we had a discussion about whether to head into that Ria or continue to push south to Ria de Muros, still another three or four hours away. Unanimous decision was to continue on while we had good conditions so onward south we headed.

It wasn’t long after this decision that the winds coming from the north started to strengthen as we went past Cabo Torinana heading for Cabo Finisterre. We furled the headsail a bit but were able to keep the full main up and had wind basically from our stern. The boat was flying along and we were setting new speed records continuously. The swell wasn’t big, maybe 2 metres at the most but some times we were able to catch the swell just at the right moment and we were able to surf the boat for what seemed like two or three hundred metres. We were getting over 14 - 15 knots of boat speed and we cracked 12.5 knots of G.P.S.speed. It was totally exhilarating sailing and we were all loving it.

Our top wind speed going around Cabo Finisterre was 36 knots of True and with such winds and conditions our last miles to Ria de Muros were being eaten up like there was no tomorrow. By the time we turned into the Ria we were all a bit knackered from the length of the trip and the adrenaline rushes we had had so when we turned and were faced with a 20 to 25 knot headwind to get up into the Ria were just couldn’t be bothered with the slog so we furled the headsail, pulled on the main and motor sailed up to Portosin Marina. We had heard from John and Sue that the Yacht Club served great food at great prices so instead of doing our usual and cooking on board we secured and tidied up the boat and headed off for dinner.

We had a pretty simple meal of melon and ham, fish bites and calamari with loads of fresh bread and cold beers but it was absolutely sensational. We ordered one round of food but it was so good we ended up ordering more and even though they mucked up our following order by bringing two plates of calamari instead of one, it was still devoured in record time. Luke has a saying as far as food is concerned and his foot critic comment for food that really takes his fancy is “This is so good”, rushed out between mouthfuls but this appeared to be a double this is sooo good he was enjoying it so much. Going out for a meal is such a rare occasion for us and under the circumstances of the fantastic day we had, it made it even more enjoyable. We were all really wrapped that we had pushed on and made Portosin and heading off to bed that night was a very satisfying feeling indeed.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Downwind express rideDownwind express ride
Downwind express ride

top speed of 12.5 knots G.P.S and 13.5 knots boat speed


27th August 2009

Hello Adventurers
Gosh I just LOVE reading the "diary". It's all so interesting. Gee I admire the family that a 4yr old on the boat. I'd be a nervous wreck. Not much happening this end, just work and what seems like not much play. Got my first uni essay back for Forensic Psychology and lucky I was sitting down as I would have fallen, I got a HD. I was completely in shock and sooooooo happy as I doubt myself all the time. Mel GArrels helped me with the structure as it had been a long time between essays and that really helped.Have heard nothing from Coffs but that's life I suppose. Jules is flat chat with basketball but they are all well. Anyway sending you all a BIG hug. Stay safe. Thinking of u. Love Fran.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb