Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amy and I had a 24 hour layover in Madrid, so we tried to make the most of the little time that we had. From the airport, we took the Metro downtown. The metro in Madrid was such a nice change of pace from Italy. It was clean and efficient and very easy to navigate. Our hostel was easy to find and absolutely beautiful inside. The room wasn't the greatest because we were in a 16 person co-ed dorm, but it worked for the night. We went to La Plaza del Torros de Las Ventas first. I just had to see it before dark. It was very similar to a baseball stadium in the states, right before a game. The metro was packed, and everyone flooded out at this stop. Outside the building, there were vendors selling everything from hand fans to gummy bears. We were there during the fiesta de San Isidro, so there were bull fights every night. I really wanted to go, but we were short on time, and I don't think Amy liked the idea very much. Next we went to la Puerta del Sol. This was supposed to be a very famous site, so I didn't do much research. When we got to where it was supposed to be, there were signs saying that it was in the square, but I have no idea what it was. Oh well, I guess that is just what I get for not doing my homework. Finally, we had dinner in Plaza Mayor. They were setting up for a concert that night. It would have been so amazing to go, but we had an early morning the next day, so we went home for bed. The strangest thing about Madrid is that it is in the same time zone as Italy. Therefore, it doesn't get dark until about 10pm. I just thought that was a little odd. Anyway, the next morning, it was back to the good old USA and normal life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th July 2008

Apartment
If you're planning to visit Madrid, stay at an apartment with air conditioning, flat screen TV, free wi-fi, terraceĀ… in Barrio Salamanca. Ideal for up to six people: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. Baby cot-crib free of extra charge. Click here to check availability.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb