Too wet to do anything at all in Roses


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Roses
March 12th 2022
Published: April 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Belatedly finishing my blog now we are home 4 weeks later..

What can I say about Saturday 12th March in Roses on the Spanish Costa Brava. It was WET. Actually it was wet all the way from the top of the East coast of Spain right down to the bottom and in fact the rain which really started in earnest that day (previous showers had just been practice runs) continued for about 4 weeks ruining many Spainish spring holidays. The campsite man had told me it hadn't rained for months and they needed it. i bet he isn't saying that now !

We were expecting rain, The weather map had shown it but it was incessant for about 36 hours. The campsite, which is rarely rained on has a sandy surface with grass in places. Sandy surfaces when rained on, a lot, get muddy, rather like quick sand really. Positively gloopy and if you stand on it your foot sinks into it about 6 inches.

Campsite sanitaires are brilliant but 50 yards was 49 yards too far away for us so showered in the van.

Then we braved an outing in the car. To the supermarket, being the only place we could think of where we could stay out of the rain.
Carrefour first where we restocked the fridge and got a bit wet where the rain came through the roof.

We were in search of a travel kettle to replace ours which broke when it fell out of the cupboard. We need one to put on the gas when not on electric hook up. I can tell you now that Spanish supermarkets do not sell camping kettles and we know because we visited another 3 and didn't find one. We even tried a Chinese type bazaar. It sold Everything... except travel kettles. We came out of there with an assortment of useful rubbish.

The best, probably the only good moment of the day, was when we found a restaurant by the beach in Empuria Brava and ordered dessert. It didn't make up for a pretty grotty day but it had a good try.

Back along the now flooded roads to the campsite we paddled from car to van door, tried not to put our feet actually onto any van surface and I threw my filthy walking sandals outside and left them there for a bath.
Door shut, rain outside, we were dry inside and that was the end of Spain.

We decided right away that enough was enough. We could see the forecast it was rain rain and more rain so leaving for France a day early which gives us an extra day for a more leisurely drive home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb