Day 2- My Birthday in Espana!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Girona
August 24th 2012
Published: August 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Visitamos a la Tarraco Romana como anfiteatro, circo, y el museo arqueologico.



Today we visited La Tarraco Romana. We went to the anfiteatro, circo, and the archeology museum.

The anfiteatro is where the gladiators would fight either each other or animals in front of an audience.<span> They had rooms called “vomitario” which is where spectators were allowed to throw up if the sight or smell of these battles was a little too much to handle…we definitely don’t have those in America.

The circo is very small after years of erosion. We only saw one section of it because the rest has been destroyed. The circo is where they had chariot races so it used to be a huge circular arena. Even though the circo was almost all gone, what did survive was the underground passageways that brought the audience members to their seats. That was pretty interesting to see. Picture the walkway in the dome only made of all stone underground.

We also visited the archeology museum which had all the remains from various other Roman built sites that had been destroyed. There were many statues and murals. What was most interesting to me were these giant pots that were used to carry oil from Rome to Spain- they had been recovered from the ocean floor from sunken ships. Another amazing thing was the anchor for one of the ships… it was bigger than my dorm room was.

After all that touring we got lunch. Pizza and sangria… we had the sangria in seconds but we waited an hour and a half for our pizza! That’s something I don’t think I’ll ever get used to.

Tonight we ate at Restaurante L’Argada. I had fish that came with the bone, head, and eyes. It was interesting to say the least. We also garshished our own bread in this special way and it was absolutely delicious…something I will now be doing when I get back to America.

We asked the waiter to go for some dancing later that night and he told us about Las Carpetas. We went back to the hotel, had some vino on the rooftop bar and made our way out to dance. We got to Las Carpetas and it was a few outdoor clubs in the middle of a forrest. It was beautiful and a great way to celebrate my birthday!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb