Fortifying Our Surrealist Minds


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Girona » Figueres
January 24th 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Guess what, being in a dorm with other people sucks, especially when the other people are French. Even though we were fast asleep in bed,the French kids thought it was entirely appropriate to continue their evening inside the dorm even at four in the morning. We would have reciprocated this morning when we got up at eight, but there was another couple still sleeping.

We had breakfast and checked train times on the internet and then left to catch the train. We had no idea how long the journey should take so we settled in. It took slightly longer than we anticipated but we got to Figures after approximately an hour and forty. We followed signs straight from the station to the Dali museum which was our primary reason for visiting. The towns shops were empty but there was a thriving market taking place in the centre.

We managed to pass for students again at the museum so it cost euros each. The museum was definitely unique and despite being mainly one artists work it didn't get boring. The museum was designed by Dali and all the exhibits were either by him or chosen by him. It was an experience and we both had our favourite parts but we agree that it was definitely worth the trip from Barcelona.

After the museum we spent some time eating our sandwiches next to a fountain and then decided to head up towards the fort. We kept on seeing signs for this fort but hadn't read about it in our guidebook so we decided to have a look. We climbed up to the fort which was above the town and came across a sign claiming that the fort was the biggest fort of Europe. Anyway we weren't allowed to actually go inside the fort so we had to settle for a walk around the outisde of it. The sun was just at a nice temperature and the views were stunning so it was rather pleasant despite not being able to see anything of the fort other than the walls.

The train back from Figures took even longer than going. Fortunately the train stopped at our stop Passig de Gracia so we were right next to the hostel.

In spain, barcelona at least, people eat late; although no one told us this. We decided on a nice vegetarian meal at one of the places in the guidebook and left at about eight, to our surprise it was completely empty. Unperturbed we went in and ordered the set menu. The place, Biocentre, was pleasantly decorated with books and paintings and the food was very tasty. The set menu for 14 euros included a soup, salad, main and a dessert so i was pretty stuffed at the end. At about 10 the place started filling out.

After the meal we meandered around a less afluent area until we were fed up and then made our way back to the hostel to sleep and await the French. stob



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Mae WestMae West
Mae West

There was an actual room set up and this picture was taken through a concave lense. Pretty amazing.
Rob Loved ThisRob Loved This
Rob Loved This

look in the bottom right hand corner


3rd February 2008

dome
I would've thought an engineer like Rob would've recognised a geodesic dome when he saw one..

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 30; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb