IN SEARCH OF GAUDI


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
April 30th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

But man does not create ...he discovers"



After a not so peaceful nights sleep due to lovers tiffs and drunken singing echoing in the alley ways below, we headed off armed with our iphone map and matching Dr Martins. Today's itinerary: "Sagrada Familia " - Gaudi's still unfinished masterpiece that started construction in 1882 and is expected to be finished in 2025!

We notice whilst walking that the city gets off to a very slow start. 9 am on a work day and the city of Adelaide is more bustling than Barcelona. Must have something to do with the aforementioned lovers tiffs and drunken singing in the early hours.

It's difficult to describe the moment you first lay eyes on the Sagrada Familia. We were presuming it was off ahead where a distant crane dominated the skyline when we rounded a corner and it was suddenly there - Huge. Colossal. Staggering. It kinda stops you in your tracks.

After scraping our jaws off the sidewalk we congratulated ourselves on making it to the site before most of the tourists when we saw a line of about 20 people near the entrance. We continued on to join the line only to realize that line was for the cafe inside the perimeter. We then happened on the real line which went around a corner, then another corner, then another and you begin to think "I ain't lining up in that" before following it around another two corners. Bugger that let's go sit in the park over the road and watch the bubble man blow massive bubbles and have a beverage!

After trekking back and seeing a couple more Gaudi masterpieces you get the idea his buildings are more organically grown than constructed. More buildings... more photo's ! Loving it 😊

Taking the tourist route home via Las Ramblas we stopped for a Paella and would you believe no crust , shattered ! Doing what the Spanish are renown for we headed home for our afternoon siesta completely trashed from our Gaudi adventure .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb