Basking in Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 19th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've been here for about a week and a half now and I haven't written a word about what we've been doing. So here goes. School. That's my word. Catch y'all later. Oh, I kid. Yes, it seems school does take up a large portion of our time but we've done other things as well.

Once we got here, we had to get settled in our little dorm rooms, deal with a mishap at the laundry, etc. We've been up and down La Rambla and that area. Seen It was Thursday before we actually got to do much. TWang came to visit us from London on Thursday. We took him to this amazing tapas place we found thanks to the Let's Go Spain. We also had a little party for Veronica's birthday.

Friday we went down to the beach and had a pretty crappy lunch. On a side note, if it is in a tourist area and it isn't in the Let's Go Spain book and chances are its is pretty terrible. Mostly just hung out with people.

Saturday was really the only day that we have really tourist it up. We went to La Sagrada Familia which
JC and TWangJC and TWangJC and TWang

We are waiting on Jennifer to get us ice cream!!
is the world's most visited construction site. It is a church that was designed by Gaudi back in the 1880s. He was killed by a tram in front of the church in 1926. There is scaffolding up all over the place. Supposedly it will be finished in 2022. I don't even want to think about how old I will be when I can see the place finished. Yikes. We've also seen the apartment building he designed, Casi Mila. (When we walked by it today we were upset to see that there is scaffolding up that we are pretty sure wasn't there 5 days ago - we didn't get a picture before it was put up. :-( ) We are hoping to get to Park Guell, another Gaudi creation, early next week.

We also went to the Aquarium. On our way to the Acquarium we saw the statue of Christoper Columbus. Apparently there were some Catalan people in the 19th century who believed that Christopher Columbus was Catalan and not Italian. They decided to erect the Monument A Colom in his honor. However, Christoper is up there pointing in the direction of Libya and not the Americas. Oops. We also got distracted by a small carousel near the Aquarium so TWang and I decided to take a ride with the little kids. I'm pretty sure we were having a lot more fun than they were.

We finally made it to the Aquarium and got to see Nemo fish, sharks, manta rays, eels, penguins. There is a huge tank with a tunnel that you can go through to see the fish above you. Its pretty cool. Walked back through the park that is across the street from our dorm. There is a really cool fountain back in there that you really can't see through all the trees.

Sunday we met a disturbing sight coming off of the metro on our way to eat lunch. There was a fully naked man standing on the street talking to 2 people like it was the most normal thing you had ever seen in your life. The only think he had on him was a backpack on his back. I heard that someone else saw him haggling with a street vendor for some art later. I've heard that Europeans are comfortable with nudity, but that was just a bit more than we wanted
The InsideThe InsideThe Inside

This construction is taking for ever!!
to see before lunch.

We have been slacking on our touristing but we will have to do better next week because we are travelling again tomorrow for our long weekend!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

JLei and TWangJLei and TWang
JLei and TWang

Sitting in front of La Sagrada Familia
CarouselCarousel
Carousel

Me and TWang being the children we are. Jennifer was like the mom taking pictures.
"Fish are friends, not food""Fish are friends, not food"
"Fish are friends, not food"

For some reason I don't think he adheres to the same school of thought as Bruce from Finding Nemo...
Sea Turtles are the way to travel...Sea Turtles are the way to travel...
Sea Turtles are the way to travel...

backward in time to be a kid again.


Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb