La Sagrada Familia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

DistanceDistanceDistance

The cathedral is in the distance to the right.
La Sagrada Familia


This work-in-progress cannot be described in a single blog entry, or expressed in any photos. As a matter of fact, it is nearly impossible to capture the massive size of the building from the ground. This cathedral by Gaudi has been under construction since the late 1800’s, and is not expected to be completed for another 15 years or so. From the Olympic site, which sits on a hill overlooking the city, you can easily locate this church. The view of it from such a distance should give you an idea of how large it actually is. Up close, there are a few things, other than the size, that really capture your eye.

One side of the cathedral is designed to look like the façade is actually melting downwards. The other side has an abundance of carvings and statues that are done in a style that, while overwhelming in number, are so simple and clean in design that they tell their story is a form that is quite moving. The intricate details are everywhere, and one could spend weeks trying to see them all. In between all of these, are huge pillars topped by sculptures
FrontFrontFront

The side of the cathdral that looks like it is melting.
of fruit (I am sure when we backfill the historical info, we will be able to tell you why).

Inside the church, we were surprised to see that the interior is mostly scaffolding, and even open to the air in some places. You immediately notice the brilliant colors in the huge stained glass windows- quite unlike any colors I have ever seen in any church. The photos can not even begin to capture how beautiful these are.


We visited the church towards the end of the day- as it was still a bit rainy and cold; we did not spend as much time there as we would have on a nicer day. We would recommend visiting the cathedral when you have plenty of time to spend, especially if you are interested in taking photos.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

HarpHarp
Harp

Angel with Harp


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb