€100 To Spot The Ball


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
January 27th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This was one of our later mornings as we slept in to half nine. It was a rough night due to a group of inconsiderate Americans. Breakfast was terrible because there was nothing left and the dining room was packed. Unusually the internet was working so we uploaded our first blogs of Barcelona and we even managed to upload pictures.

We really wanted to buy some toilet roll for Morocco so we walked to a few supermarkets we knew and they were all closed, as were all the shops. I know this is normal but I just assumed that Barcelona would always be open. As we walked to the main square at the top of the Ramblas we saw a protest of some kind. At closer examination we guessed that it was an anti-capitalism march aimed at certain topics like nuclear power etc.

We followed the march for a bit and then decided to head to Juicy Jones for a vegetarian menu of the day. It was so busy and we spent a good amount of time in there. I am really getting a taste for Indian foods and strangely enough Rob keeps opting for tofu options.

We were kind of at a loss for something to do with everything closed. There were a few museums That sounded ok, but we didn't want to pay the extortionate entrance prices. We nipped back to the hostel And asked the girl workIng there if there were any English films being shown at any cinemas. She told us one, so we caught the metro there. We got there just as the films were beginning but found that we were just short of money and they didn't accept cards. There wasn't an atm anywhere near and so we missed the showing. There wasn't enough to do in the area to amuse us for a few hours until the next showings, so we caught the metro to Port Vell instead. The cinema there was only showing films in Spanish but the shopping mall it was in was open. It was packed inside , each shop was heaving with people. We looked around and I bought a top from Mango which will hopefully be suitable for Morocco.

When we were shopped out and our feet were hurting we bought an icecream to help us on our walk back to the hostel.

At the hostel I had a nice long hot shower and then we packed up our things ready for tomorrow. Whilst we were doing this we got a little peckish, so we nipped out for food. We got sandwiches and sat and ate them on the Ramblas where there was plenty to watch as usual. The most interesting was the game of cups which was taking place in the street and bets as high as €100 were being placed.

Were ready for bed now but the guy in the next bed keeps starting innane conversations with us. Night night. Stob.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb