A turn for the better


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 8th 2005
Published: July 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A smile at lastA smile at lastA smile at last

me expressing satisfaction at our quarters for the night
Obviously, having not booked a hostel for the night, Nick and I scrambled to find a place to stay. As it was already 9pm when we got to Barcelona, it didn't look good. We decided to take a gamble and just start walking toward the area that looked like it had the most sights, restaurants, and nightlife in our Let's Go Europe Guide (which I recommend to anyone traveling to Europe by the way, it's fabulous). Luckily, we found a hostel that was open, that had a room for us, and had a 24 hour check in (thank God). We were even surprised to find the hostel offered AC, television, and a balcony.

After unpacking and taking a much-needed shower, we headed off to find dinner. We found a tapas place that was full of hip people and served beer. And after taking our first sips, we realized that it had been the first time since we'd gotten into London that we weren't bogged down with a sense of urgency and worry. It made the local beer, Estrella, and the food go down fantastically and all our frustration was replaced with a sense of hope that we'd finally hit our stride on the trip.

We decided to buy a six-pack from the restaurant (something which is commonplace in Spain - you can get beer anywhere, including vending machines on the streets) and head back to have a few drinks on the balcony, watch the night crowd pass by, and finally get the rest we'd hoped to get a day earlier. Nick and I were both so happy to feel the comfort of having a place to stay, coupled with the excitement of a new city to explore, that we couldn't stop smiling on the balcony and commenting on how great life is. The city seems pretty easy to get around in, and we look forward to sight-seeing tomorrow.

Before going to sleep, we watched some television coverage of the London bombings and took a moment to enjoy being alive, realizing again how close we'd come to cashing in our chips. We've been through a lot in the past day. To have the benefit of comfort that we both have at this moment is a blessing not taken lightly.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Good to be aliveGood to be alive
Good to be alive

Nick and I enjoying beers on the balcony


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb