Barcel messy lona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Barcelona eventually after an epic time in Amsterdam Airport. A short stay not a good stay at the airport thanks to Leon still being drunk from the night before and almost missing the flight.

The hostel was great, free breakie AND dinner! Bonus. So of course we headed down for some dinner with the plan to just get some rest after.
During dinner we talked to Rebecca and Ariel - some American guests at the hostel, who convinced us (twist the rubber arm) that sleep is overrated and to come out on a pub crawl. Before I knew it I was participating in a frantic ritual of 1hour all you can drink.
We hit the first bar and I was nominated to represent NZ for a pint skull. 5seconds later, see you later Canadian Army boy and Saffy. I was rewarded with a tequila shot for winning followed by a another from the South African for my efforts.
So one bar down and things were getting slightly blurred and slurred.
Leon took up the challenge at the next bar by taking a Monica Leuinski shot. I vowed not to put the pictures up but I
Pub CrawlPub CrawlPub Crawl

The crew for a Tuesday. MASSIVE
am sure you can imagine the shot 'came across' not that nice.
By the end of the night Rebecca and I were propping each other up and it seemed we partied harder than the others. I had been in the city for 8hours and so we got lost for a bit on the way home. Not as bad as Leon had got lost and had to taxi.

I awoke feeling I as if I had been hit by a train but was keen to check out some of the city. Leon was unresponsive so I headed out with Rebecca for day of siteseeing and carrot juice. (Felipe from Brazil told me you keep your tan longer if you eat carrots - so I was keen to try).
We walked quite aimlessly around but managed to find some cultural things to do - such as the Picasso gallery - he is Spanish you know.
Keen for perhaps a quick lie down, we looped back around and found Leon and Ariel ready to go out. We took the subway to Segrada Familia - a church under construction since 1882 and not expected to be finished until my 100th birthday.
The church
Pub crawlPub crawlPub crawl

With Rebecca and Arial.
was ridiculously amazing, even in its semi-complete stage. We were all awestuck by its beauty and unparalelled design. The designer, Gaudi was famous in Barcelona for other works and so we walked La Rambla exploring these. Nice.

We visited the markets, where Leon took a liking to the sheep heads, live crabs on ice, octopus and several other whacky things. A little light headed and repulsed the four of us then meet up with a friend of Ariels. There was room for a classic display of Flamenco dancing before we headed to a local haunt for Sangria.
Great little night out and we made sure we got the girls drunk for their early flight out in the morning. Hehehehe!
One highlight was stumbling across a playground. See pictured... these metallic cup things proved much fun. One lies inside and rocks and spins. Apart from the risk of severing fingers, these should be staple in every playground worldwide.

Leon and I followed Gaudi again for our last day in Barcelona. We went to Guell park. The walk there was reminiscent of the Inca Trail (but with escalators). The view from the top was amazing, looking over the city and
Best playground toy everBest playground toy everBest playground toy ever

Say good bye to the ab roller. The new generation is here!
to the Med.
We followed the path around to Gaudis house. Again the man thought a bit differently - like a sheep name Trevor I once knew.
His gate, looked like something from Hansel and Gretel. His driveway was a bridge made of rocks. His garden was was impressive and snaked up another 100m above the house. P.I.M.P.

Barcelona was a definate highlight. All in all a memorable 3 days of carnage.























Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Segrada Familia Segrada Familia
Segrada Familia

This church due to be completed in 2082.
Segrada Familia Segrada Familia
Segrada Familia

Some of the old fellas hanging out.
Not  your average drivewayNot  your average driveway
Not your average driveway

Gaudi again going OTT


4th April 2007

i am supremely jealous, i have always wanted to go to barcelona.. it looks amazing.. and sounds like you had a hell of a time.. you'll have to try remember the names of the good places to drink and let me know!
9th April 2007

Hey, make sure you get James wasted when you catch up with him, i know he is really looking forward to it!

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb