Dan A's version of Venice, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pheew! Pheew! Pheew!

Daylight saving took effect the Sunday we left. The 3 of us had to run back to the hostel and pace through the narrow streets to the train.
So, the flight to Rome was a breeze. Arriving at 6pm we negotiated our way to the train station and had 3hours to kill before embarking on our overnight train to Venice.
We found an Internet Café across the road and settled in for a season of catching up on the blog. The mood in the Internet place was chaotic. One other computer was packed with Bangladeshi cricket supporters. They sat, stood and danced around the live internet feed, banging on drums as India went on to lose to Sri Lanka - hence sending Bangladesh through to the next round.
So, something to know - there is people who follow cricket in Italy.

The overnight train was an experience to say the least.
Leon and I were designated to a 6 seater cabin with 3 others. The seats were dead upright with no adjustments.
Leon found another cabin and a place to lie down, however I started to have a yarn to an Italian guy who also spoke Japanese, so put up with the punishment of no space.
Room was very scarce even with Leon gone. The remaining 4 soon mutually agreed to lean, stretch and stack in anyway
Dan and IDan and IDan and I

One fine day overlooking the grand canal.
to get comfortable. So this is how I spent the 6hours between 11pm and 5am, getting to Venice.
We arrived and my mate from the train pulled through and found us where we were staying. What a legend. If you have been to Venice you will know the streets are ridiculously narrow and disorientating, plus the directions were wrong.

6am, I was all excited to see Dan. However it did not last long. I found destination top bunk and crashed hard until mid day.
Leon was still sick as a dog, so we left him and hit the narrow streets and widing pathways of Venice. Dan and I both thought it was quite a romantic place. My first proper meal was a shocker of a pizza. Lesson learned: Do not eat from places where there is a menu with pictures.
I crashed hard in the afternoon again. Barcelona had taken its toll but the room Dan found was great, so it nice to have some peace and quiet.

The following day we were all very cheery and relaxed. However, upon leaving the hotel the heaven opened up. Just our luck. Dan of course cursed me and proclaimed that
GondolaGondolaGondola

The pilot easing that puppy under the bridge.
the weather had been perfect up until this point in his trip... thanks maaate.
Anyway, mother nature got back at him by destroying his 5Euro umbrella. Haha!
This made the walk decidabley average and cold.

We walked the streets, trying to visit as much overcrowded touristy things as we could.
Highlights were the pigeons and the whitsling winds up St Marks Square Tower. Fantastic.

We managed to find some better food that night. Dan and I went out for a vino. We ended up at a quant little restaurant. We walked in and it took 20minutes to be served. The old fella behind the bar was intoxicated and was having fun knocking over olive oil and clanging liquor bottles. It was all quite entertaining. He may get some complaints in Parnell but this is Venice! The food was outstanding but it was the service I would not forget.

Our last day we had a couple of hours to kill so took off to get some travellers cheques changed. Dan noticed a discrepency in the clock at the Amex shop. We suddenley realised that daylight saving had come into effect and our train was leaving in 30mins. Doing the maths, soon we were dodging shoppers in an attempt to crush down a 50minute walk. Dan took charge and lugging our backpacks for the second leg of the journey, we made it with enough time to take a photo and by a strudel for breakie!
Great little drama to end Venice!











Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Gondola learner driverGondola learner driver
Gondola learner driver

When all else fails use the trusty right boot.
Nice waka broNice waka bro
Nice waka bro

If you notice, gondolas are all on a lean to the right. This compensates the bias of rowing only from one side.
FailureFailure
Failure

Dans eye for fine things lead him to this fantastic 5Euro umbrella.
Choice little island Choice little island
Choice little island

View from tower in Piazza St Marco
Windy viewWindy view
Windy view

Dan and I almost getting blown away. Also just before the ringing of the bells (deafening from the top of the tour)
Attack of the pigeonsAttack of the pigeons
Attack of the pigeons

Venice is known for its man eating pigeons.
Venice carnival masksVenice carnival masks
Venice carnival masks

This is a tribute to Leon, who was kicked out of the shop after this photo.
Leon and the 2 foot eggLeon and the 2 foot egg
Leon and the 2 foot egg

300 Euros later...


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb