Cathedral Barri Gotic


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
January 27th 2014
Published: January 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The construction of this imposing cathedral started in the 11th Century on the foundations of a basilica destroyed by the Moors in 985. The nave was built between 1298-1448. The construction of the neo-gothic facade was finished in 1890. The church houses 29 side chapels, 10 of which are located around the apse of the altar. In one chapel there is a supposedly miraculous crucifix. It is said to have helped defeat the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto.

The church is about 83 metres long and 25 metres high.

Cloister of the Cathedral



The Cathedral is dedicated to Santa Eulàlia martyr, the patron saint of Barcelona. She was tortured to death in the late Roman period. The body of Santa Eulàlia lies buried under the high altar. Her feast day is always celebrated on the 12th February.

Be sure to look at the Cloister with small chapels, gardens, fountains and even geese cackling around. You can hear the loud cackling of the geese from the church building. The geese used to fulfill an important task: they warned against intruders and thieves. Especially on hot summer days, the cool cloisters are a joy.

From the cloister you can reach the small museum. In this museum you will find two very valuable items, representing Santa Eulàia and an equally precious monstrance of solid gold. A monstrance is a liturgical display device in which the host is presented. In the "Sala Capitular" you can admire the beautiful ceiling paintings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb