Basilica Sagrada Familia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
January 28th 2014
Published: January 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I've been to many churches, cathedrals, temples and mosques and this was the most fascinating by far.

The outside facade has two different looks. Front and back are totally different. When we walked inside I was expecting something that would marry with the exterior. Nope, it was like being on a movie set for Star Wars. Clean lines, very modern considering the year it was designed. We went up to one of the towers. If you are afraid of heights or have a bit of claustrophobia, don't bother going up. The young girls in front of us kept stopping to take selfies, not a single pic of the view. We tried to photo bomb but were unsuccessful.

More about the church:

The expiatory church of La Sagrada Família is a work on a grand scale which was begun on 19 March 1882 from a project by the diocesan architect Francisco de Paula del Villar (1828-1901). At the end of 1883 Gaudí was commissioned to carry on the works, a task which he did not abandon until his death in 1926. Since then different architects have continued the work after his original idea.

The building is in the
Back of BasilicaBack of BasilicaBack of Basilica

Totally different from front!
centre of Barcelona, and over the years it has become one of the most universal signs of identity of the city and the country. It is visited by millions of people every year and many more study its architectural and religious content.

It has always been an expiatory church, which means that since the outset, 132 years ago now, it has been built from donations. Gaudí himself said: "The expiatory church of La Sagrada Família is made by the people and is mirrored in them. It is a work that is in the hands of God and the will of the people." The building is still going on and could be finished some time in the first third of the 21st century.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DownstairsDownstairs
Downstairs

There is another chapel where Gaudi is buried
At the top of towerAt the top of tower
At the top of tower

We are crossing a tiny bridge between two towers
CorkscrewCorkscrew
Corkscrew

This was how we walked down. Very narrow.
More of interiorMore of interior
More of interior

The pole on right is supposed to look like Palm fronds.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb