Day 20 23/4/21 Itero de la Vega - Poblacion de Campos 18km (castle backyard)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
July 11th 2012
Published: July 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left by 8am and decided to eat breakfast at the first town 10km away. Had a chocolate crossiont and a frittata (potato pie sort off) and coffee.

The wind was strong and cold again....We only ever get one sunny day

Walked along a large man made canal that was built to open up farming in the area. We have passed by quite a few days little cement water canals that run around paddocks directing water that is pumped from rivers or canals.

The countryside is all farming and quite flat ….A nice change …..but I do miss climbing a hill every day …...

Arrived at quite a large town and wanted to get some fruit from the supermakardo but everything was shut due to a holiday in the area.....We found a restaurant opened and decided to have a coffee....It was a lovely place quite large and had a very country feel about it. I think it may have been a barn once.....Had a great big open fire...We did feel rather underdresses to be in there ….never mind.....I ordered a cafe con leche ( a white coffee) guess what ....got it right. Jacqui got to drink a white coffee with her feet facing a open fire.....It was a shame to leave the comforts and head back out into the wind and cold....but we did.

When we walked out of the town we had to cross over a new highway. Up the top it was extremely windy. We could all most lean on it....Jacqui's hat filled up with wind...shouldn't laugh at her but she looked bloody funny....like mickey mouse with purple ears.....

Headed to Poblancion de Campos. Jacqui didn't feel like walking any further ...we had only walked 18km but very windy and cold and with her coughing at night and wheezy during the day it was enough.....hope she gets better soon......not much fun for her.....The town wasn't very big but we couldn’t find the albergue....we spent some time walking around until we found a schoolhouse converted. We went in and one of the guys told us we had to book in and pay at another place down the road. He also told us that there were only guys there so far....Off we went and discovered that we had walked pass this place twice trying to find the albergue.

There were 2 Japanese guys in front of us and the lady was serving in the restaurant behind us so she got us all a red wine while we waited.....very nice..... She finally came and organised the Japanese guys....she doesn't speak Japanese or English but she directed them down to the school house.

Through sign language she asked if we would like to stay there....I don’t think she had offered the others. She was sending the guys to the schoolhouse and keeping the girls here.....That was nice....

The rooms were up stairs. We had a king size bed each bathroom and toilet....I gave her a big hug it was so good after such a cold windy day.....I had a bath and went down to pay for the rooms....Jacqui stayed upstairs and had a sleep...I hope it helps her....

I went into the restaurant to write up my journal and the lady came and gave me a coffee and a sweet pastry......she really is a lovely lady......Jacqui came down and found me sitting on a couch staring out the window at a little castle in the back yard. Our host gave us a bottle of red wine a bowl of chips and a packed of cards to play. The cards were a nestles pack and the picture cards were a sword ,trophy, nestles and a cucumber ( al tho some one told us down the track it was something else have forgotten). We drank red wine ate chips and played fish till tea time....and took photo's of the wine glasses when we got bored.....my photo's were better than Jacqui's...she's soooo competitive.

We had tea with 3 Dutch 2 ladies and a guy ...he was quite loud, 2 French guys and a lady who I am not quite sure. She didn't speak english......everyone else did …....The food was great a tomato soup which looked like it had bread through it.....meat and chips a big salad and yoghurt.....then we were given a very sweet liquor and a sweet pastry to finish off.....we went to bed very full

Jacqui got one of the channels to speak english to us so we watched NCIS then went to sleep.

We didn’t wake up until 7am.....that's a first.

Got up and had a shower just because we could. I have been carrying a bottle of red wine around since Jacqui's birthday and decided to leave here for our host with a note thanking her for her kindness.....I am sure she will find a Spanish person that can read english one day …....came down and had breakfast slipped a couple of muffins croissant and apple in Jacqui's pocket.

We were on the road by 9am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



29th July 2012

Very nice and interesting

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb