Recap


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys,

This will probably be the last blog as we reach Santiago tomorrow!
Just a quick recap of the last few days of this epic journey.......

It was the 25th and Chris's BIRTHDAY! We were marching towards Hospital Santa Cruz which would take us 38km closer to our goal. As we were walking we saw this small Ginger haired woman strolling in front and all four of us remembered a simailar looking woman from Holland who we had met on our 4th day but not seen her since! As we walked hisitantly towards her we all had a horrible feeling it was her. This feeling was not due to her being a horrible person but to the fact that a woman who must have been nearly 70yrs old was infront of us for nearly 3 weeks, and suprise suprise it was the small robust ginger woman! We said hello again and she herself looked amazed and deeply pleased that see had out paced us for so long.

Only a few moments later we crossed a large river with a great steel bridge crossing it, and immediately someone said 'lets jump off it'! We assesed the jump which must have been 25m and Henry took off his shirt and climbed over the railing, he was thinking about it for what felt like 10mins and then he did what I said he never would do and jumped! But fear not, he is alive and well, and he decribed the jump as the 'best thrill ever'.

This immediately sparked me and player to have a go, with benoit filming, but we valued our lives too much and could not sum up the courage to jump! Im not sure what possessed us to ever think about jumping, but i suspect it was the shame of being beaten by a 70 year woman and we wanted to prove our manliness after such an embarrisment!

That everning we reached our Albergue and it was very clean and only cost 3 euros. We found that there was no supermarket despite Henry being convinced it was there somwhere. Eventually we agreed on a 9 euro menu and went into a quiet pub. We wondered why the pub was so empty and eventually guessed it was the 4 euros they charged us for a pint of local beer (which we found out today should have cost us 2:50!), and just to top it all off the food was distictly average, and we walked away with our moral dented and our wallets much lighter!

We woke up this morning at 6am and was on the road by 7. We said good bye to our Holland friend and we were determined not to let her get ahead again and we marched off at a stagering 6km/h !!! We managed to walk a new best of 41km today even though we had the intension of just 38 today. This was mainly because the Albergue we wanted to stay at was full and we were sent away! This made us very annoyed as the beds were full of people who had only walked 20 to 25km on that day and also started after leon! With us talking away about our anger and frustration we stumbled apon a vey nice and clean Albergue which was 5 euros and that is where we find ourselves now. Henry and I bought Chris a cake to celerbrate his 17th birthday which was on the 25th and I convinced henry that it would be fine for a few hours in this heat depite him telling me that it would melt........ and it did, but this just added to the amusement!

So that is what we have been up to for the last few day and there is a great feeling of excitement and relief to be reaching Santigo tomorrow which is currently 38km away. If this is the last entry we would like to say that we have really enjoyed our time here, meeting all the wonderful people and seeing the beauty of North spain. Thank you all so much for your support over the past few weeks and we are looking forward to seeing you all.

Thanks again,

The Harper Boys.

Advertisement



26th July 2008

jumping from a bridge
it was not all that a good idea let me say that was a bad one: ask first the depht of the water or go and check before jumping in. specialy in summer. maman marie-christine
26th July 2008

sorry first think very well done
a very proud mother :well done you all and specialy benoit. may i say that benoit refuse to go round the corner to go and get a fresh baguette or croissant for breakfast( 25metres) . but succed to walk more than 800km including mountains and hot summer weather. you have done wonderfully well. have a safe journey back. and dont forget that we have stayed at home, be patient with your unchanged parents. you will be welcome and admired at least untill the next exam results. i give you all a doctorate in walking. mc
27th July 2008

Bubbles on Ice!
Bubbles on ice waiting for the heroes return! Long to hear all about all the adventures and see the pictures. Happy last day walking and what a fantastic adventure - and so much money raised too! It must have been worth it! Can't wait to see you on Tuesday. LOL to you all xxxxx
27th July 2008

PS Happy birthday Chris !!
Chris - very happy birthday for the 25th! No doubt a very memorable way to spend one! LOL from the remainder of the Comyn clan xx
30th July 2008

Well done to the incredible 4
Well done to the Haper Boys - fantastic achievement you should all be very proud. Lewis has relayed several amusing stories and although he is pleased to be home, he says he is sad that it has come to an end.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb