Operation Alpha Gecko: day 22


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Reporting back after delay, we have finally found internet in this society with dwindling technology.

A few days after Leon on day twenty somewhere in the Spanish outback we had the hardest day yet. The troops were woken at 0600 hours by Corporal Comyn aiming to leave base camp at 0630 hours. However a short delay was incurred after the albergues owner offered us some of his personal rations of coffee ( triple espresso) and buns, Spanish style. We eventually left base camp at 0700 hours whiler the whether was still forgiving. With a new found vigour and spring in our steps all four of us powered 9 clicks to Astorga where Corporal Comyn allowed the Privates to disband and buy breakfast.
After we had eaten at 0905 hours We set off again wth Private Boon temporarily separated from the squad. However we soon regrouped and were ready to take on the rest f the day, or so we thought.
After many hours of walking, when lunch seemed t be a distant memory especially for one Private Hinch, the day only seemed to get longer as the sun grew strong over our heads and we paused observing that the tar had melted and was oozing, so we drew up our plan of action and how to outflank the upcoming enemies: the heavy clouds.
When it was made sure that everyone knew their place when the rain was going to hit, Corporal Comyn signalled for a staggered formation ready for whatever was coming.
At 1437 hours Pvt. Boon stated "It is going to rain in five minutes" in his wise and mysterious way wth his red indian instinct playing up. Within moments we even saw the wildlife fleeing, a pack of horse like wolves. Corporal Comyn immediately ordered for the squad to halt until the threat had passed. Just a private boon had mentioned exactly five minutes before the rain hit. We hurried dramatically into our positions with forward roles and were in prone position when we protected our packs from the incoming fire. Screams could be heard of "I'm hit! I'm hit! I need a MEDIC!!!!" from private Hinch however Private medic player soon came to his aid and found that it was only a fleshwound.
When we reached the next village spirits were held high, even with all that nature could throw at us, due to Corporal Comyn's attempts at singing Queen's 'Don't Stop me now' and was encouraged when Private Boon joined in on the newly purchased Ukalele.
Even though hail started to fall Corporal Comyn gathered the troops briefly and a look like something crazy was going to happen went through his eyes to tell us that we could make it to the nearby village could still be reached. We carried on on the orders from the Corporal soon the heavy artillery came in from the enemy of lightening. The booming noise of thunder came all around, the troops hurried on testing their will and determination. Private Boon nearly broke into dispair when a lightning bolt landed a mere few feet away. Corporal Comyn calmed him promising we would all be there at the next village soon.
Hail the size of grape fruits were the next weapon of mass destruction and their army of flies were set upon us as Private boon was hit the hardest. We ran for our lives for the final stretch with lightning and flies close behind. Our camp was finally reached, at a sodden 38km from base camp.
We started the day as mere caffiene addicted boys and we ended it as men.


p.s. no friendlies were harmed however many tango flies were KIA in the process of this day.

p.s.s. We are currently only 180km away fro Santiago at Villafranca.


Private Medic Player over and out.

Advertisement



22nd July 2008

To the men.....
well done for surviving a truly dangerous and challenging situation... we did send medical advice re: blister management, but it seems to have got lost in the ether.....and it sounds as if you've managed very well on your own anyway. It looks as if it's all downhill to the sea now, so not long ....by the way who is private boon? (Benoit?)
23rd July 2008

mission presque accomplie
bon courage pour les derniers jours. i hope with not so many dangers.but i know you can cope. enjoy yourself on the last days. thank you very much to the writers of the blog for their levely comments. all my best wishes mc
23rd July 2008

Bravo mes Braves !!
Loved this last blog - hilarious and so full of colour, vigour and FUN! Welldone you ALL - what a fab time you are having. How are the big bloody blisters !!?? I guess the rain was a welcome relief after days of endless sunshine. Keep going - you're almost there. Think you are all BRILLIANT! lol from us all at Witcham Farm xxxxx
24th July 2008

Keep on Marching!
WE all loved your last entry! Can't wait to hear more on your return. Good luck on the few days walk - Hope the enemy stays away!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb