Traveling at 250 km/hour!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Segovia
April 26th 2013
Published: April 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We did not sleep well last night....sharing a bottle of wine while still jet-lagged in hind-sight was not a good way to end the day....But we decided to get up and head off for Segovia anyway. We took the subway for the first time here (easy) and then a high-speed train (very fast....almost twice as fast as the subway trip to the train station!) 50 miles to Segovia...and then a bus to the Roman Aqueduct. Bill had researched all the details, so it was a seamless trip there and back.

Segovia is a medieval Disneyland (in fact the iconic Disney castle is modeled on the one in Segovia, as you shall see..) and most of the population work in the service industries catering to tourists. I think they should just go all the way and dress in period clothing too...the backstreets were fun to wander, but we decided not to pay the admissions to the main sights and just enjoy the town.

One highlight was finding a convent that made "ceramics" (actually molded resin) for sale. We had to ring a bell, speak to a nun that was hidden behind an ancient wooden lazy-susan ( things can be placed
A Walled CityA Walled CityA Walled City

This is one of the gates in the wall, right by the top of the Aqueduct.
on it and then it is turned so the nun can take them without contact with the secular world), and then were buzzed into a room where we could view the objects and talk with a nun....

The aqueduct is amazing, and the old city walls are beautiful...it sprinkled for part of day, but we could still walk around....colder weather is headed our way tonight and for the weekend. The Prado is tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

AqueductAqueduct
Aqueduct

Built over 2000 years ago, and can still carry water (but hasn't since the 19th century)
AqueductAqueduct
Aqueduct

Bill and the base of a pillar. There are 20,000 granite blocks in all....
AqueductAqueduct
Aqueduct

Built with no mortar!
AqueductAqueduct
Aqueduct

It is 100 feet high here.
Alcazar (castle)Alcazar (castle)
Alcazar (castle)

Drawbridge over empty moat
Alcazar (castle)Alcazar (castle)
Alcazar (castle)

See the Disney connection?
Alcazar behind part of city wallAlcazar behind part of city wall
Alcazar behind part of city wall

The whole wall is still intact (with repairs)
Bill and scary statueBill and scary statue
Bill and scary statue

One of the eveil-looking Semana Santa guys...


27th April 2013

Travels
We'll have to put Segovia on our list...that aqueduct! those castles! We think that sharing a bottle of wine is always a great way to end the day, jet lag or no.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb