Frog spotting in Salamanca


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Salamanca
September 16th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are currently in Salamanca which was about 1.5hrs drives away. We have learnt our lesson with TomTom and this time we typed in the address rather than just pick the hotel off the list. We made it with no problems, lets hope that continues. We are living it up in a four star hotel - it is the type of luxury we could get used to. Look at the view from the pool. Jealous?

Salamanca is a great city and it seems very relaxed. It has a massive student population and one of the oldest universities in Europe. The university has really impressive building. One of the main gates has a very impressive façade. It attracts a lot of attention as somewhere on it there is a frog. There are various stories about the frog including "if you can spot it without any help you'll enjoy good luck and will marry within a year." We did spot it but not without a bit of help.

Salamanca has an old and a new cathedral, although the new cathedral is still pretty old. They started building it in 1513! One of the things that I liked was that in all the stone carvings around one of the doors was a spaceman! Unsurprisingly that wasn't from the 16th century. It was added during some restoration during the 1990's. Also one of the little carved demons is eating an ice cream!

When we went out for a stroll before dinner at about 8pm(!) we discovered that that was time to be out. It was really busy everywhere. Salamanca does an excellent job of lighting up the city at night and the already impressive Plaza Mayor looked even better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb