Camino Trip Day 18&19: Camino Day 14&15:


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Burgos
May 23rd 2022
Published: May 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We left Atapuerca a little after 6am, with quite a few others. After about an hour, we thought we saw Burgos way off in the valley. Shortly after that, we came upon Villaval, but it was just a tiny town with a few houses, and no cafes or bars. About a half an hour after that, we entered Cardenuela Pico, and I remembered the bus advertisement on the outskirts of town. It was for an albergue and cafe, the Bocateria. We, along with quite a few others, stopped there for breakfast. Another half an hour and we spotted Orbaneja Riopico, passing by Quintanilla Riopico. Get the similarity? All three towns were on the Rio Pico, or Pico River, so they named themselves after it. We entered and passed through Orbaneja Riopico and about an hour later we entered Burgos.

After a looong walk through the outskirts, we stopped at the first cafe/bar for lunch, Cafeteria Sandro. We started trying to find our hotel for the next two nights, Hotel Rice on Reye Catolico, and finally about half an hour later we located it. For the little we paid for it, it was a pretty decent little hotel, with a bar and restaurant. After we checked in and changed our shoes to sandals, we decided to tour Burgos for a while. We saw a number of statues in plazas and then went to the cathedral. It was pretty impressive, even though we had to pay to check it out. Afterwards we had a light dinner at a cafe nearby and hit the hay.

The next day, we ate breakfast at the Cervezas Alhambra and walked around Burgos a bit before returning to the hotel to have our anniversary lunch. In Spain, the main meal is lunch, and the evening meal is at 7pm or so, and something lighter. For lunch Manoli had a really fancy salad, and I had the best BBQ spareribs I'd ever had. They were sooo tasty, and tender. After lunch, we wandered around Burgos, seeing most of the sights, like the castle. We'd decided to skip the meseta, so we went to the bus station to buy tickets to Leon the next day. The computer was down for a bit, so it took a while. We toured some more of Burgos, and then returned to the hotel.

Tomorrow we can get up later and casually get ready to go, since the bus doesn't leave until 10:30.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb