Camino Trip Day 22: Camino Day 18:


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Astorga
May 26th 2022
Published: May 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

As usual we packed up and out the door of the albergue at 6am. We knew from the night before that Bar La Torre was open at 6am, so we stopped for breakfast. A couple hours later we passed through Villavante. An hour or so later we spotted Hospital de Orbigo for the big water tower and another half an hour we reached the famous bridge. The bridge and town were made famous by the knight Don Suero who after having his affections for Lady Leonor refuted, said he would confront any knight attempting to cross the bridge.... or something like that. We stopped on the other side of the bridge at the Hotel/Bar El Paso Honroso for breakfast and a nice view of the bridge while we ate.

About 30 minutes later we passed through Villares de Orbigo and about 45 minutes later we entered Santibanez de Valdeiglesias. We stopped at the Albegue Parroquial for Manoli to eat lunch and for a break. We passed several interesting statues and rest areas on our way to San Justo de la Vega, including a fairly famous donativo/rest area. Finally at about 1:30 we entered San Justo de la Vega. It had been a pretty long walk, but we still had to get to Astorga, our stop for the day. At about 2:30 we entered the outskirts of Astorge, a pretty big town. We wound our way through the "suburbs", over a 20-meter train track by going up and over and down, 3 ramps hight and about 200 meters long. We found the municipal albergue and checked in. This was the same albergue that I'd stayed at in 2017. It was pretty cool, with a nice kitchen and dining area, downstairs of course, and a back patio and terrace.

While Manoli chilled, I went out for my lunch, and ended up having a pasta marinara at Rio's Irish Tavern. After lunch, and some chill time for me, we wandered around town. Manoli checked out the cathedral which apparently was pretty cool, then we found a supermarket to get stuff for dinner. I got an interesting dinner and Manoli got some fruit and a salad. We went back to the albergue and ate our dinner, then I worked on this blog and played some Roblox Islands while Manoli chilled.

Tomorrow we head to Rabanal del Camino, which is about 20 kilometers, with some ups. This will be our last stop before climbing the big hill to the Cruz de Ferro.

P.S. You can leave comments and suggestions on my blogs


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb