Loro Park


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
May 16th 2011
Published: May 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We went to Loro Park in Puerto de la Cruz today. In all the years we have been coming to Tenerife, we have never been there before. Loro Park is on the North side of the Island. There are 2 ways to get there. Across the mountains or around the East and North side of the Island on the motorway.

We took the mountain road from home that took us past Mount Teide.
We stopped a couple of times to take in the views and photographs.
Just as we got past the entrance to the cable car up the mountain, we were met by a coach reversing along the road. We made the decision with others to overtake it.

Found out that he was reversing to block the road as a coach and a lorry had collided on the following corner and they did not want anyone getting caught up in it. This almost totally derailed our day.

We managed to just squeeze through the available space, but had we not have overtaken the coach, we would have had to go all the way home to get around it. The journey had already taken about an hour at this stage.

Remainder of the journey was uneventful. The journey across the centre of Tenerife is mountainous and lunar moon like in areas. This setting is currently being used to film the new Clash of The Titans 2. Film sets and camera crews everywhere.

We arrived at Loro Park at about 12.00.

Loro Park started as a parrot park, but over the years has expanded. With more than 700 parrots Loro Park has become home to many rare and exotic creatures from all over the world. The Park has Dolphins, Orca whales, Sea Lions, Parrots, Penguins, Gorillas, Chimps, Tigers, Sharks. Pelicans, gorillas, chimpanzees, Tigers, sharks, Emus, Cockatoos, Kookaburras and many other exotic birds.

Found out when we got there that we could have got a substantial discounted entry with our NIE Residencia cards, but we did not have them with us. Note for the future, carry them with us where-ever we go. More paperwork that has to be with you where-ever you go.

Booked onto the discovery tour which takes you behind the scenes on a lot of the displays that we would not have seen otherwise.
Saw the dolphin and sea lion shows and managed to see some of the other displays.

Loro Park is a packed full day visit, and even then, you would probably struggle to see everything.

We will definitely be back here soon, along with our Residencia cards. We might even stay over the night before.

Got home about 7.00pm and went to our local Chinese restaurant for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb