DC to Canary Island


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » La Palma
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Snapshot: The red eye flight took us DC. Here to report the Obama house is standing with lots of barricades. We met with MichaelĀ“s college friend Ted. The DC weather was wonderful. ...though we could not find a single banana anywhere near the White house!!!

With a two hour delay, we somehow managed to catch our flight from Spain to the Canary Islands. With volcanic rocks, black beach sand, and palm trees we are enjoying our time with Sigi and Papa Polenz

Banana Index: Bananas are everywhere. Exc'pt near the White house). So many in fact, groves are found right along cities. Because of tough tariffs these smaller type bananas are only shipped to Spain. Costing only 0.20/pound on this island. In rough times, locals would collect pine needles to use as cushion for bananas when shipped. Once cut, one banana stock will weigh appr. 145 pounds.

Wildlife seen: Falcons, many worms, doves, some Canaries, and other strange birds. There are 40 unique plants not found anywhere else. A plant person dream. Lots of dogs, and roosters heard throughout the night.

Cheetahs seen: 0

Number of chickens crossing the road: 0

Pictures next time.

Advertisement



20th April 2010

great,
have fun say hi to everyone
20th April 2010

Question
So glad you got out of the country. Were you delayed at all by the volcano? Can't wait for pictures!
20th April 2010

Question
So glad you got out of the country. Were you delayed at all by the volcano? Can't wait for pictures!
21st April 2010

Which Canary Island are you on? If you're seeing cities it must be Tenerife or Gran Canaria. I live on the smaller island of La Palma, and we have lots of bananas here too. But the highest peak on the island is almost 8,000ft and gets snow in winter, and you get just about every climate in between snow and bananas somewhere or other. The place is amazingly varied for an island just 30 miles long.
22nd April 2010

lucky
At least you're not flying into any volcanic ash and made it to your destinations, although Michael would love getting close to the volcano.

Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb