Spanish Beaches and Bars - A Normal Brit Holiday


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
July 27th 1990
Published: October 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

San SebastianSan SebastianSan Sebastian

The beach
That night was the first of many on trains, giving us a taste of what was to come. The train terminated at Irum on the boarder with Spain. After going through a pitiful excuse for a customs office, where you were required just to flash something that vaguely resembled a passport, we caught a 'bone-shaker' train the short way to San Sebastian.

We first walked into town to get some money, although we had to wait in a square for an hour until the bank opened. My credit card would not authorise for some reason, which was very, very worrying as that was supposed to be keeping me alive for the next month.

Spent a relaxing day slobbing on the beach catching some long missed rays. At least we did until early in the afternoon when the sun disappeared and down came the rain.

We discovered that San Sebastian is the capital of the Basque Country, which was the second thing for me to worry about that day - Spain's Northern Island.

In the evening before the overnight train to Madrid, we checked out a street which was famous for its bars. On our budget, one beer
San SebastianSan SebastianSan Sebastian

Boats in the harbour
was going to need to last us all night. That wasn't a problem, but what was a problem was the food. All the bars put out plates full of little nibbles that were giving off the most tempting of smells. We held out up to a point, but it was only a matter of time before we cracked and a few pounds (Stirling) bit the dust. Very unfair tactics by the bars I think.

We then had to wait at the station for our train - another experience that we were going to have to get used to.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb