Spain Part 3 - Ibiza – The Balearic Island


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Ibiza
April 12th 2016
Published: April 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Santa Eularia D’es Riu

We are booked to fly to Ibiza for 10 days with Ryan Air and with the flight purchase was the option to get cheap parking near the airport, which was a bargain so we booked. Getting there was easy as was the transfer to the airport by the company who also pick you up on your return.

Tip for travellers – definitely take these offers as parking at the airport is pretty expensive.

The Malaga airport is relatively new with the 2 main terminals T 2 & T 3 interlinked. We have hand luggage only so getting on board was a breeze now that Ryan Air allows you to check in online & allocate your seats. The whole experience with RA is so much better than expected after our last experience when we went with them to Pau in France 10 years ago. The only criticism was that the plane was dirty, though on time. The flight was only about 1 hr so not a trial.

We just missed a direct bus to our destination in Ibiza from the airport, and rather than wait an hour for the next one, we get a cab to Santa Eulalia which takes 25 mins and cost Euros 30.

We arrive at Siesta Mar a relatively large urbanisation complex we booked via ‘Home & Away’. The owner is a lady in Italy but she rents it out via a local agent. The apartment is basic but functional, and we are being joined by Sarah (eldest daughter), Louise (youngest daughter) and Olive (granddaughter) for what is essentially a ‘holiday’.

The apartment is relatively small on the first floor but with a lovely balcony with a good seating area where we spend quite some time during our stay. The downsides were that the second room was very small and had a bunk bed, the bath towels were small & the electrics & TV were faulty - though they fixed the latter a day before we left. The complex had quite well maintained & manicured gardens with a great big under used pool and there are some supermarkets in walking distance.

We could walk into town across an estuary and along the seafront, which took 15 mins and was quite pleasant with great views. There were 2 large supermarkets in town - Eroski and Spar which stocked most things but prices were slightly higher than the rest of mainland Spain. We assume because everything has to be shipped in.

Like many place in Spain pedestrian sidewalks were very narrow and dog mess a real issue.

After a visit to the helpful and tiny ‘Tourist Office’ we go to visit the Las Dalias Hippy Market by bus (for Santa Clara), which costs Euro1.55 from the local Bus Stop just behind the Town Hall. The bus stops just across from the Market just before you get to Santa Clara.

It’s an interesting experience; there are a few bands to provide live music, many stalls with what can only be classified as ‘posh’ stuff, which was very expensive. There are a few eateries, the most popular and more affordable is the one by the bus stop. We can’t help feel that this whole market was definitely created to rip off tourists. As there’s no bus back for a while we get a cab back which costs 11Euros. The market is held as a ‘night market’ on another day.

Carlos (the agent for the apartment) recommended the very local Siesta Mar Grill for dinner. It was only 60 yards from our place and they had a rather limited menu but are very popular and rightly so. We were lucky to get a table and had awesome steaks & fish BBQ. As we couldn’t decide exactly what to have the German waitress suggested a mixed meat (lamb & steak) & mixed fish (Salmon & Tuna) washed down with the amazing red house wine from Valencia for only 8 euros. The eating area is in a lovely alfresco courtyard surrounded by mature trees in bloom under an open blue sky. Great setting and atmosphere and we come back here again a few times before we leave. They inform us that they are doing a Sunday special with Paella the main and only dish (normally they close on Sunday), so we book a table for 5 as it will be the girl’s first proper night here.

The girls arrive at about 9.50pm on Saturday night by cab so unfortunately we had to miss the cultural ‘Ball Pages’ show in town at 9.30pm – a rare event. However, it’s great to have the girls here – Sarah needs a good rest after a challenging year and it’s lovely to have quality time with Louise and Olive as well.

On Sunday we spend time at the beach in the morning & the pool after a light lunch at the flat. For dinner Olive is definitely on form – performing for us, and the crowd at the restaurant. The Paella meal was good, however, disappointing that the promised have as much as you like did not materialise.

The pattern of our stay was beach in the morning and pool in the afternoon after lunch. Olive finds her confidence to go into the sea as the water by the main bay is really gentle and the sea quite shallow. On Monday the two big girls go to Las Dalias 'Night Market' (7 to 9 pm) even though it’s still bright till 11pm at night. And we enjoy Olive’s company.

We decide to try the Asturian restaurant by the harbour but it’s quite disappointing. It’s more a steak joint now, with many dishes not available. We used to come here regularly when we last visited about 10 years ago.

We have decided to hire a car for a few days to help take us around the Island. We pick up the car from Centauro (office near the Airport). We get the direct bus to the Airport only 4 euros each and it takes just 25 mins – the only drawback is that it’s an hourly service.

One day we go to Ibiza Town as the weather is cloudy and the beach or pools aren’t the best place to be. After some hassle finding a parking bay (free during siesta time 1 to 5 pm), we visit D’alt Vila (the fortress above the city). However, Olive is not in a good mood and M carries her on his shoulders screaming. It looks like it’s the start of a period where Olive takes to screaming when she doesn't get her way. Ah well the trials & tribulations of parenthood!!

Es Cana - Hippy Town

The big gig on Wednesdays in Ibiza is the Hippy Market in Es Cana. It’s more of a real Hippy feel about it than the ‘contrived’ Dalias event. The location is just outside the main town of Es Cana & you can’t miss it – just follow the hordes of people walking.

Unfortunately, in the morning the place was totally packed, however, M & C go back in the afternoon while the girls do their ‘beach bum thing’. It’s a lot nicer as it’s less crowded. So would definitely recommend people visit in the afternoon.

We go to the Siesta Grill for dinner over the next 2 nights and enjoy some of the best steaks (T Bone & Fillet) together with Fish - Tuna & Salmon for the whole family.

As all things in life, holidays come to an end and on Friday we drop Sarah at the Airport and go off with Louise & Olive to Portinatx. It’s a very beautiful bay of azure water – idyllic and very picturesque. After a great day it’s back to reality.

The next day we set off at 8.30 am to drop Louise & Olive at the airport. We have to return the hire car & catch the bus back to Santa Eulalia and
spend the day by the pool. We end the day with a nice meal at the flat for a change as local choices seem limited.

Our last day is Father’s Day and M opens his cards & does a Face Time with Louise. Later we take a walk to Puig de Missa (Church built in 1565). The path is along the river, passing the Pont Vell i Font d'en Lluna (fountain bridge) which is rather nice.

The church is a really beautiful, of Grecian design and painted in white. It reminds of the many monasteries in Greece. It has a great, historic cemetery beside it. It has an interesting German section and a small Jewish section.

On the way back into the town centre we come across a café called El Pomelo by the bus station. We enjoy enormous Tapas of Morcilla and awesome Spinach Croquets and end up there again on our last day. The place is only definitely a local’s haunt; the service is fabulous, the food awesome and prices keen.

Carlos the flat agent calls around to settle our rental bill. We dine at Pomelo & Suzanna the waitress (and we suspect the owners daughter) is really helpful. On our last morning we have a swim at the pool & lunch at Pomelo before catching the direct bus to the airport which costs only 4 euros each – a real bargain!

The flight back to the mainland was early - Ryan Air have improved their service offering a lot & we will definitely fly with them again…. So onto Malaga & mainland Spain on this voyage of discovery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



14th April 2016

Interesting to see that there is another...
Home and Away!

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 32; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb