El Torcal & Nerja


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
February 15th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ola Bo & Dud,
We’ve been experiencing a bit of weather here of late - strong winds and rain. Yesterday was just like being in the UK drizzle all day, we only ventured out for a few bits from the supermarket. It’s been a good time for doing a bit of a spring clean of the caravan. Under the bed has become our ‘loft’ and we’ve been storing all sorts under there since we arrived here at the beginning of November, so we’ve had everything out and a wipe around with a cloth and a bucket of hot soapy water. Likewise with the cupboards - it’s incredible how much fluff has accumulated over the last 7 months.

Before the weather changed we were able to have a wonderful day out to the Torcal de Antequera. This is a mountain range which has become a National Park. It is famous for its rock formations which look rather like slices of flaky pastry piled on top of each other. The whole area was on the sea bed a hundred million years ago and was thrust up by the movement of Africa.

There are two walks around the area and fortunately we
Luxury Lunch VenueLuxury Lunch VenueLuxury Lunch Venue

Table for 4 with a view please!
took the shortest route which is only 1.5 kilometres, but, it took us 1 hour and 30 minutes because of the rocky terrain. We were also fortunate that friends at Camping Torre persuaded us to borrow walking sticks, Sheila and I most definitely needed them. Despite the fact that we all took the same route, Sheila and I also had a great deal of difficulty with mud. Peter and Howard strode out in a light footed fashion with little evidence of the sludge; while we ended up at least two inches taller than when we set out, took one step forward and slid two steps back, and at one point became transfixed as hysteria kicked in.

During our walk we saw Ibex and Griffon Vultures, and the spectacular view we had for lunch made for a very special day out. We came home via Antequera, en route calling in at the Mollinas Blanco (White Mill) for a beer and a look around at this fascinating restaurant. It is full, floor to ceiling with all manor of antiquities and farming equipment. Antequera is now on our list for a visit in the future - it is the most beautiful hill town, steep streets, bell towers, churches and a convent.

We have also enjoyed a splendid day out courtesy of Peter and Sheila. We went to Nerja on the bus; we had coffee, a spot of retail therapy, lunch at a delightful restaurant overlooking the sea, (in very hot sunshine), a gentle stroll and ice cream sitting on the Blacon de Europa. Another perfect day - how lucky are we?

There are lots of changes taking place on the site now - many of the ‘long stay’ travellers have started to move north to spend 6 months at home. We have been given lots of advice about when to move on, and where to move on to next. Our thoughts were to be in Italy for Easter but the weather is definitely holding us here for the moment. I think that we are going to find it very difficult to leave here when the time comes - Torre del Mar has without doubt become home, and we can well understand why people return to over winter year after year. We’ll keep you up to date with our plans.

Love + Hugs + Kisses
H & H x


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

IbexIbex
Ibex

Trained by Disney we think - they arrived on cue.
Rocky WalkingRocky Walking
Rocky Walking

Sheila striding out in sensible fashion - before the mud!
K-9 RockK-9 Rock
K-9 Rock

We all thought that this rock looked like K-9 from Dr. Who
2" Taller because of the Mud2" Taller because of the Mud
2" Taller because of the Mud

Hysteria about to kick in at this point - 2 steps forward and sliding 3 steps back.
Ibex on the MountainIbex on the Mountain
Ibex on the Mountain

Who is watching who?
Mollinas Blanco Mollinas Blanco
Mollinas Blanco

In the middle of nowhere - with a HUGE car park. Looking from the outside you would never know the treasures within.
Mollinas Blanco 2Mollinas Blanco 2
Mollinas Blanco 2

Note the interesting display of crisps.
Mollinas Blanco 3Mollinas Blanco 3
Mollinas Blanco 3

It's difficult to choose a drink with all the distractions.
Mollinas Blanco 4Mollinas Blanco 4
Mollinas Blanco 4

We settled for beer.
Nerja StreetNerja Street
Nerja Street

A very 'British' tourist village - all shops and restaurants.
View from Balcon de EuropeView from Balcon de Europe
View from Balcon de Europe

Enjoyed so much more while eating a rather nice ice cream - another blue sea, another blue sky.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb