Tarifa and Gibraltar


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Tarifa
July 16th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tarifa and Gibraltar day 6-7 (July 16- July 17)



We took taxis again to the bus station to avoid the peak hour on the local bus, which I‘m sure the locals would agree was a good idea as 12 people with packs and wheelie bags take up a lot of room. It was then a comfortable three hour bus to Tarifa, which is a beach side town within sight of Morocco.

We dropped our luggage and then caught local bus to Gibraltar. It was a walk to cross the border which was pretty straight forward, and then we walked to the town centre, crossing the airstrip on the way. We stopped to have an English pub late lunch (very fresh calamari).

It was a hot day, so we decided to catch the cable car to the top instead of walking. The Barbary apes greeted us at the top, they are not so friendly but loved to sit on the stairs blocking the way to the viewing points. The views were amazing, especially being able to look across to Spain on one side and Morocco on the other. It is a busy harbour too with many ships on all sides.

I managed to get pounds out here which will be handy for my stay in London coming up, but unfortunately the English language book I was looking forward was nowhere to be found. On the way back the boom gates were down stopping traffic both foot and vehicles, as we waited for a plane to land.

The next morning was overcast at first, and so I took the opportunity to do some laundry while half the group made a day trip to Morocco. As I will be spending over three weeks there I decided to defer my visit until later. A lazy day really, watching a German movie on the PC called “Goodbye Lenin” which was very good.

The weather cleared and I went for a couple of hours walk along the beach. It was a real beach as we know it (with sand). I walked until the river, and returned as the weather began to heat up. An afternoon siesta followed by a late dinner…again with the pizza restaurant. I had some spinach gnocchi which I must say was quite good followed by a stop at the local ice-cream store. It really felt like a
Barbary apeBarbary apeBarbary ape

Not someone to cross!
beach holiday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The RockThe Rock
The Rock

With car crossing airport tarmac in foreground


11th September 2009

A very impressive Rock...as is the ape, and the views. A beach holiday with a difference really!!

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb