Bullfights Ole'!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
May 11th 2014
Published: May 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another amazing day. The first stop after arriving at our hotel in Seville was to get tickets to a bullfight. We were in luck. There was an event that night and still available tickets in the shade. So our first day in Seville was planned.

Before the fights began we wondered around marveling at the sights and deciding what we wanted to see and do while in town for the next three days. Clearly not enough time in this ancient city.

We are staying in the old town where the streets are incredibly narrow. There are town squares everywhere and old buildings all around.

After a late lunch it was time for the bullfights. Luckily Jerry had noticed that people were dressed up so we put on our nice clothes and we were off. Nice clothes I guess--most were dressed like they were going to church--suits for the men, dressy dresses for the women and many had on their flamingo dresses.

Bullfights are so much more than just fighting a bull. It is a cultural event steeped in traditions. And we were right in the middle of it. The tickets were pricey -the event was on the same scale as a super bowl. The stadium was packed and mostly with locals who seemed to know the many nuances of the sport.

This was a once in a lifetime event. Whatever your views are on bullfighting, it was amazing to be a part of the crowd. Yelling "ole'", waving the white handkerchiefs, fanning the fans because of the heat, and admiring the special outfits just for the bullfights. And there are many more customs involved that we simply were unaware of.

What a day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The crowd waving white handkerchiefsThe crowd waving white handkerchiefs
The crowd waving white handkerchiefs

The stadium holds 14,000 people. It was nearly sold out.
Little GirlsLittle Girls
Little Girls

Even the little girls have flamingo dresses


11th May 2014

Jewish quarter
Sounds like such a neat experience! My sis says if you get the chance, that there is free flamenco place in the Jewish quarter worth seeing. Happy Mothers Day Jan!
12th May 2014

Bullfight
Wow, what an experience! You're so lucky you got tickets. I would have loved it. And to think the skimpy man-wear on the beach show was free! You two know how to travel.
13th May 2014

Bulls
It looks as if your time in Europe has been amazing so far! Portugal and Spain beautiful and are both places I have wanted to visit myself. You have had the Hemmingway experience of the bullfighting ring, but did you go during the correct time of year for the running if the bulls? I don't think so, but that would be something you would never forget...

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb