Seville


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
February 14th 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Seville


Sunday 6th February 2011

Leaving the coast we head inland for Seville here we camp at Dos Hermanas ( Two Sisters ) a bus ride from the city centre. The campsite is set amongst orange groves and the harvest is under way. These oranges are the bitter variety used to make marmalade.

Monday 7th February 2011

Early bus into Seville and breakfast outdoors at a café opposite the university. Some students (( belive it or not ) are having beer setting them up no doubt for their studies ? We walk from here down to the river and across to the Triana, the gypsy quarter, where ceramics are produced. Here we take a look in the showroom of the oldest working factory - Santa Ana. Here there are hand painted tiles in traditional geometric designs and large freizes on offer.

From here we return to the east bank and visit the bull ring for a conducted tour.
The Seville ring is one of the largest in Spain, is privately owned and still in use.
We learn that historically meat from the bulls and horses killed was given to the poor making the spectacle popular with the ci. Today horses wear protection and bull meat is sold.

After lunch we headed for the Cathedral, the world’s largest gothic structure. Here we saw the monument ( tomb?) of Christopher Columbus and climbed the Giralda the world famous symbol of Sevilla and the former minaret of the former mosque which now has a belfry and weathervane and from which there are great views of the city.

A bite to eat then on from here to the flamenco museum which explains the art of flamenco and a show held in the museum in intimate surroundings where we had front row seats.- excellent.
Long day – home by Taxis.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



19th February 2011

woop woop seville
there is a great turkish spa in the city - really clean and relaxing - great massage...love seville and the bullring...the old expo stuff is wierd to see!!! love to you all.xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb