Back on the road again


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Jerez de la Frontera
February 14th 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jerez


Wednesday 2nd Februay 2011

After saying our farewells we took to the road again heading west past the rock of Gibraltar to the point where the med meets the Atlantic ocean near the town of Tarifa. Here we turned north west towards along the Costa de la Luz. The scenery changed driving across a sweeping plane we passed Cabo de Trafalgar off which Lord Nelson achieved victory and met his death on 21st October 1805. Further on we passed another location that saw a British naval victory Cadiz where Francis Drake destroyed the Spanish fleet in 1588 prompting Philip II OF Spain to assemble another fleet – the Armada which was destroyed at the hands of the English with the help of the weather and sounded the death knell of Spanish maritime power. On to Puerto de Santa Maria across the water from Cadiz and a base to see the surrounding area.

Thursday 3rd February 2011

Up and out today to Jerez de la Frontera the home of sherry wine. First a visit to the Real Escuela Andaluza de Arte Ecuestre or the Royal School for Equestrian Art where we took a look at the training of the famous andalusian horses and witnessed a great display of horsemanship.
Next a visit to Sandeman Sherry to learn how sherry is made followed by the customary tasting
and optional tapas. A walk around this very relaxed town and a bite to eat in the principal square followed before checking out sherry production at Gonzalez Byass the home of Tio Pepe ( Uncle Joe ) and the obligatory tasting that follows. A long day but well worth the trip and home by Taxis.







Friday 4th February 2011

School for three. Shopping, a look round the town and lunch for one at a locally famous seafood restaurant with a glass of chilled vino blanco – it’s a hard life if you weaken !

Saturday 5th February 2011

A walk into and around the town with a visit to Osbourne’s sherry house to check we had the facts about sherry production correct. At the tasting we met a couple ( married ) of American naval psychiatrists from the local naval base at Rota. There followed a very pleasant and interesting conversation accompanied by consumption of the remains of the three bottles of sherry provided for the tasting – we left feeling a bit squiffy and made our way to a flamenco bar where we ate tapas and sampled a local garlic speciality - ajo caliente. The only disappointment of the day being the flamenco didn’t materialise – don’t believe everything tourist information tell you !



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Topping up the sherryTopping up the sherry
Topping up the sherry

Taken straight from the barrel sherry is poured into the bar serving keg to ensure its quality.


14th February 2011

History Lessons and Sherry Tasting
History Lessons and Sherry Tasting, what a great education the boys are getting. Sounds like your trip continues to be a wonderful adventure. Are you heading into Portugal? Excellent wine and lots of Port to sample. All the best. Duncan

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb