Spain was good


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
October 8th 2010
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 24
Time to leave the city and make our way south to our next resting place, Can Gordei. Slight problem, after eating breakfast and packing the cars, Tom’s car is hemmed in, the owner of the offending vehicle has parked and gone off into the city. Phone call from reception and a promise to return, coffee and endless waiting eventually results in success, the owner returns and is surprisingly mystified as to the problem his parking has caused.
We leave the city by a slightly different route to that selected by Tom Tom and make our way to our villa with pool. The journey is easy but not if you ignore the instructions of both navigator and TomTom. However, a successful phone call back to England confirms we are sitting outside our destination, as if we had any doubt! Climbing over the gate provided some challenge, but paled into insignificance when compared to the race to the pool - it is far too cold at this time of year for those not brought up with the thermo insulation required of swimming in the North sea- but one idiot ventured in.
A truly fantastic view from the terrace made a long day truly worthwhile.
Day 25
A day for doing nothing! We slob, we sunbathe, we swim (well two of us do), we read and we find time to consume some beer, some sparkling wine, some vino tinto and a meal of roasted vegetables and pasta.


Day 26
Enjoyed our newly discovered Freixenet Nevada so much last night that we make our way to the home of our favourite sparkling wine. Quick check on train times from Vendrell should we need to use it, then for lunch at highly recommended restaurant at Albinyana. What? It is closed as the owners are on holiday until the 6th October! Alternative restaurant adequate with an interesting array of challenging dishes, egg, nuts and red peppers for those with fear of such delights.
But the rest of us had a fab time! Freixinet factory was great but we missed the tour, so went to the shop for a few souvenirs and stocks! We bought Alan a sommelier’s pinafore and, as we predicted, he delighted us with serving our pre-prandial fizz wearing the pinny and very little else…….not an image his former colleagues or his children need to think about really!
We should at this point tell you a bit about the roles we seem to have adopted. Alan is the sommelier in charge of alcohol related issues and self appointed photographer; Elaine is the quartermaster; Tom is the financial director and keeper of the purse; Graham is the route master and chief navigator; Lucie is HR director and peacekeeper and Sally is trouble shooting communicator and pool temperature tester.
Day 27
Great day in Terragona- a lovely town with medieval and Roman delights as well as a super Modern art gallery and a cheap and lovely lunch. How many great days can six people have ….it just gets better and better! Expensive car parking though, especially as Alan fed the machine a 20 Euro note it didn’t recognise. Sally’s attempts to negotiate exit with attendant aroused sufficient sympathy to enable a protracted return to base via the Pont de Diable, that just happened to be under renovation.
Day 28
That must mean we have been away for a whole month! Slobbed around the pool for the morning and read plus set the washing machine in motion. Major concern of the morning, no sign of the black kitten, and its mother is showing signs of distress. After lazy start, we made our way to the seaside and the resort of Coma Ruga in particular. Had lunch, menu of the day, dishes of salad, paella and fish together with a desert all for under 11 euro’s a head. Spent the remaining part of the afternoon on the beach, swimming, reading and soaking up the sun.
Provisions bought on the return journey but still no sign of kitten upon return. We suspect the marauding hoards of dogs have got her and we mourn her loss.
Day 29
Two of us had an emotionally charged day. We drove down to San Salvador , where we found the home of Pablo Casals, that had been turned into a magnificent audio visual museum. Sitting in his music room, being played to by an image of the master himself was spine tingling, and going around the part which explained the civil war suffering and his charity concerts and efforts for peace with the backdrop sound of the cello made us both sob. We recovered in a great Tapas bar and then went for a swim before heading back to the ranch for guitar playing and reading in the sun respectively.
Our compadres however had gone to Sitges and headed straight for the nudist part, where Elaine had never seen so many Willies, and Graham wished he wasn’t wearing his ‘Coq Sportive’ T shirt. It is the gay capital of Europe and they felt positively overdressed and straight! They too had great tapas and enjoyed the beach.
We had yet another great evening, enjoying the fabulous sunset, eating, laughing and playing music; apart from Alan who was playing his spoons!
Day 30
A new month, can it really be October! Decided upon a slobbing out day in preparation for two days of driving down to Granada. Got up late, had breakfast late ahead of an early evening barbecue. Day dominated by mixture of washing, ironing and relaxation. Various books finished, new books started and then the dreaded ‘foskett barbecue’. To everyone’s amazement not everything was burnt and some of the party even claimed they enjoyed what they believed to be meat. Slight delay to proceedings until Mr Antonio cleaned the pool. Then to the packing and clearing up, deep joy and excitement as we plan tomorrow’s route and then as ‘Zebedee said’ time for bed!
Day 31
Before we left Can Gordei a yellow canary landed on our car. Just as we commented on the chances of its survival in the wild the cat lept up and caught it as it flew away - at least we know the cat will survive without us! We drive through awesome changes of scenery , at times the dry red rusty earth and distant hills and haciendas remind us of an old western movie.

Day 32
After a sticky night in a Camponile on an industrial estate in Elche we drive through many miles of harsh, unrelenting yet awesome landscape and had a picnic in a deserted service area that made us feel as if we should whistle the theme tune to the Good the Bad and the Ugly. We then then descended into Granada - a magnificent blend of European and Muslim architecture . We are going to enjoy this place!
Day 33
What a day!
Breakfast at Taverna del Druida - scrummy toasted bread with tomato / Serrano ham / cheese and coffee - vowed to return to the place. We all visited the Cathedral, spent time mooching in the old town then up to Albeicin - top of the hill - great view point with stuning views of the Alhambra and all of the city, with a flamenco guitarist busking. Had a beer and loved the Alhambra Brewery Special Reserve. Mooched round this ancient gypsy / moor quarter then went to join up with the others. Took a bus up to the Alhambra and oh wow - bowled over by absolutely everything - and to top it all, the sun started setting as we finished the tour. Bus back and into the Taverna del Druida for beer - Alhambra Negra is gorgeous - rich, dark and malty. Rounded off the evening with good food - A great day in a great city.
Day 34
Off we jolly well go. Exciting departure from underground car park and then slow progress out of the city until we reach the outskirts. Spain has vineyards, it has orange groves and today we have been treated to olive trees, not just one but mile after mile after mile. Agree to drive through to hotel in Osuna; little did we know! Tomasina (TomTom) said go right, Margaret said carry straight on but whatever route we took we met the road works and a roundabout journey to our destination; after seeking directions from the either the Correos or the Policia. Enjoyed a relaxing afternoon either in or around the pool before embarking upon an adventure to find the real Osuna. Having found a real bar we then returned to our hotel for drinks and food before retreating to our beds.
Day 35
Short journey down the N92 so we can enjoy the delights of the Sevilla traffic and boy was it fun and although some of us took a slight detour our TomTom’s got us to our hotel. Bit down market for some of us but then that is what happens when you ask for recommendations from friends on the breadline! After enjoying the luxury of our double hand basins we caught the bus into the city centre, getting off at the Bull Ring. Scorchio 32C! Enjoyable lunch even though the Advocado and Shrimp salad was missing the shrimps. Went our separate ways with unfair distribution of monies, Luc(y)(ie) and Graham got into the cathedral for 2 euros as pensioners, Alan & Elaine had to pay 8 euros and goodness knows how much Tom had to pay for his new guitar! Made our way slowly back to the hotel, mixed tapas followed by Italian dishes at separate venue before finding a different bus home.
Day 36

HELLO
Someone asked us who says what, to give you a clue, Sally writes the OTT flowery prose, Alan writes about the wine, food and navigation and Tom writes about the beer. Others chip in if they get the chance!
We won't have access to Computers now for a while so we can each add a bit with a temporary Adiós until we meet again.
Hi, Sally here! a word to my book buddies- thanks for the Laurie Lee - it inspired me. Alan, you've spoilt the illusion- I was trying to conjure an image of romantic travel and you let slip we are in a 5 star hotel in Seville!! Still prefer the smaller, more 'interesting B&Bs
Hasta La Vista from Graham and Lucie
Finally got to the keyboard inspite of having to fight my way through! So long Seville been nice to know you, bring on Portugal.Love to everyone Elaine and Alan




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



10th October 2010

Wish I were there
Hello All. Thanks for your blog which I am reading sporadically. You sound as if you are having a wonderful time, and I feel that I am travelling with you! Just off to cut my grass now, but thinking of you. Lots of love, Sue XX

Tot: 0.418s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb