Hola from Sunny Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SevillaSevillaSevilla

Cathedral
Well we finally made it to Spain after a nail bitting morning waiting for my passport. We spent most of the night packing our bags and finalising last minute bookings as we didn't expect the passport to arrive in time! After a standard Ryan Air flight into Sevilla we made our way into the city centre, depositing our bags at the Oasis hostel before collapsing for an afternoon siesta as we were warned not to be typical tourists braving the day heat.

Up at 4pm, ready to tackle the sites of Sevilla, we left the hostel but found the streets devoid of locals and full of other dum tourists! The reason quite obviously being the 40 degree heat - if any of you visit Spain siesta time is from 3 to 6pm not 2 to 4pm!!!

These Spaniards are not the quitest lot!! Both nights were spent tossing around listening to the various drunken revellers, street cleaners, dustpin trucks etc, bellowing at the top of their lungs. Peace arrived at 3am, but alas, the morning crew of city workers were up at 7am.

With the lack of sleep not dampening our spirits we spent the day milling around
SevillaSevillaSevilla

Lounging by the river
the city centre admiring the architecture when we discovered that there was a BULL FIGHT!! The usual season finishes in June, however, some of the young studs were strutting there stuff at 10pm that night. Well, unlike Portugal, the Toros (Bulls in Spanish - at least we know two words) in Spain are killed during the fight. The night's line up had six junior fighters, each parading around the ring in an artistic fashion, enticing the toro to charge their red cape before inflicting a mortal wound by driving a knife through its back and into its heart. This is done in the most daring of manner with the crowd shouting out Ole... if particular acts of bravery are shown. What we didn't realise was each Bull Fighter has a posse who help tire out the toros before he steps in the ring. I have to admit after watching all six fighters you can appreciate how close each fighter gets to the 400kg bull, one even rested his forehead against that of the bulls's. It certainly is not for the faint hearted!! Next stop Granada and the famous Alhambra......

p.s No photo´s yet due to technical difficulties

Sevilla!!Sevilla!!Sevilla!!

At the Bullfight!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb