Córdoba


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Córdoba
June 1st 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mezquita at NightMezquita at NightMezquita at Night

Taken from across the Roman Bridge.
Night

Went for a walk last night about 9pm, once again across the Roman Bridge, but much cooler than during the day, the streets and the walls of the buildings were giving off the heat they absorbed earlier ... people going for evening strolls, a joggers taking advantage of the relative cool air at night ... birds (swallows?) calling out as they fly about ...

Mezquita

Went to the Mezquita this morning, heaps of people, tour groups, school kids ... but as the guidebooks say, the Mosque was one of the most important in Western Islam. Eventually a Cathedral was built inside the mosque, so there is a mix of Christian and Islamic elements to the building. Within the Christian parts there are different styles of architecture, according to the tourist brochures - Renaissance, Baroque ... the building is so large and has so many things to see it is quite overwhelming.

Away from the Mezquita

After the Mezquita came back to the hostel, to wait for it to cool down a bit. Did not got out until about 4pm, but it was still hot. Went to an art museum (Museo Obispado Cajasur de Bella Artes), mostly religious paintings because it was related to the Cathedral in the Mezquita, didn´t really move me, but it was good to be out of the heat.

After the museum went for a walk away from the Jewish Area and away from the Mezquita found some Arab Baths, (tempting to get away from the heat but the 18 Euro price put me off). Thought about ice cream for 1 or 2 Euros instead.

There were heaps of Plazas including Plaza Corredera (big), Plaza Porto (small) both quite empty (saw a temperature sign along the way which said it was 38 degrees Celcius which probably kept a lot people inside).

Also saw some Roman Ruins (don´t know if it was a reconstruction, as there was no one to ask, and the whole area was behind a steel fence - had to poke the camera through to take a photo).

After the Roman Ruins decided it was still too hot to be outside so bought an ice cream (cheaper than in the main tourist area) and headed back to the hostel. Will try and do more exploring tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.


Want to see more photos?

Have a look at my website here: http://www.firemanonasailingship.com/photos/




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb