Cadiar here we are


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiar
March 18th 2006
Published: March 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy Birthday Phil


Wednesday 8th March contd.

Cadiar is a small village but has lots of Brits, plus two Brit-speaking bars Jamanandel's and Bar Central, both featuring internet, but Jamanandel's also has a delicious and inexpensive lentil and veg dish.

After a long series of reunion drinks with the family (Alex, Dianne, Jack, Chris, Helen, Joe, Patrick and Rowan) at Jamanandel's cafe bar we went shopping.

The houses here are built to be cool in the hot weather. While it is sunny in the daytime it can become cold at night so slippers are necessary. I paid 11.50 euros for Rory's slippers, more than I've ever spent on slippers in my life. (Mine cost 2.85 at Fundgruber's in Nackenheim.)
Finally made it to bed at A&D's house in Calle Real.


Thursday 9th March Cadiar

Today we had a leisurely walk down-river and then uphill to the Alqueria Mireymar for drinks and views of the Sierra Nevada.


Friday 10th March The best tip

Drove to the edge of town to do some scavenging at the town tip. People leave usable furniture here and it has the best view of
Another snakeAnother snakeAnother snake

It might be a poisonous Brown Viper. Sadly it is not in good focus.
any tip I've seen.

Then up to Birchules to investigate a house A&D hope to buy. Fortuitously we met Jesus the property developer onsite. The house is built into the hillside and gets quite dark the further in you walk, typical for houses around here. The top floor has an exit onto the roadway above. He took us to view another house in Alcutar but we were all negatively affected by one of the neighbours (not Spanish). We also collected quite a few interested passers-by, including a lady with a very loud and strident voice who insisted on showing us round her refurbished house which was also for sale.

After the bar in the evening we retired to A&D's with Julio who played flamenco guitar while Alex created some flamenco fusion on the harmonica.


Sat 11th March Upriver

After a late start we wandered upriver, through a variety of allotments featuring veg, vines and the ubiquitous walnut trees which are in blossom at the moment. The river is very important, being used to irrigate the adjoining plots of land via asequias. Asequias are channels or troughs in the ground or any material that will do the job. Apparently developed by the Moors centuries ago. In fact this area was one of the last refuges when they were driven from Spain.

Went as far as the bbq spot at Agua Agria, then back via Narila, the village just outside Cadiar where Chris lives.


Sun 12th

Off to Birchules to help Birgitte move house from a 'normal' village setting to a beautiful place on the campo with several buildings and a pool, just waiting to be developed.

Stopped for coffee on the way and watched three men trying to drag a fallen electricity pylon from a hillside. They tried with a rope but it simply stretched.

Rory and Owen spent much of the day at Chris' & Helen's house on the x-box.



Tuesday 14th march Washing

Took the washing to the lavanderia up the hill. Left it with the lady and established it would be ready late afternoon Weds. No name, no ticket.


Wednesday 15th March

I noticed one of my tyres had a bad gouge in the sidewall. Collected the washing (how did she know which was mine ?), then on to the tyre place in Cadiar. Not open, hung around until gone 7pm and still not open.


Thursday 16th

Tried the tyre place until 0930 but still not open. Gave up. Off to Motril later, bought a new tyre at a swish tyre fitting centre, then a picnic on the beach.




Friday 17th Chemistry

Lots of work on Owen's chemistry o-level, going through a past paper, and discovering what moles and Avogadro's number are all about.

Dianne returned from the tip with a magnificent braid-trimmed hat. All the identifying badges etc had been removed. Could it have belonged to Franco ?



Saturday 18th Happy Birthday Phil

Rained all day so far, the first since we arrived in the Alpujarras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Rory with olive stonesRory with olive stones
Rory with olive stones

Yes it is bad lighting but I like this one taken at the Mireymar


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 23; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb