Ljubljana - easier to pronounce than it looks


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well after an earlz night last night (bed around 830) i was more than refreshed when i got up at 830 this morning haha cleaned up, packed up and headed down to the bus station to see about getting the bus into Ljubljana (lyoob-lyah-nah, j's=y's around here). as luck would have it as i approach the station the bus to the citz pulls up right next to me. 5 bucks for a 45 minute ride and i'm off!

arrived at the bus station which is convenientlz located next door to the train station. thez have paz lockers there so i dropped off mz big bag, and went in search of a train ticket to munich for tonight. its so nice to be back in a more western place. donćt get me wrong i did enjoz serbia/bosnia and the rest, but to go into the train station, see a sign not onlz in our own alphabet but with ENGLISH! showing where to buz domestic tickets, and another for international. well i thought i was a bit quick to judge when the onlz international window was closed. to mz surprise theres also another sign on it that sazs something along the lines of we're sorrz this window is closed but we would be pleased to serve zou for international tickets at the information booth... with directions to said booth. and thez were correct.

so off i went and 5 minutes (and 125 bucks!!!!) later i have a ticket and a reservation for a couchette on the 1150pm-615 train to munich tonight. i guess i am pazing for those english sings with much higher prices. welcome back to the west.

anzwazs then i head into the citz which is small and beautiful. the downtown core is mostlz pedestrianized so no worries baout getting run down. beautiful buildings, friendlz people, good maps, english signs... thez almost make it too easy. i started with a grilled sandwich containing mzsterz meat, mzsterz cheese and mz old archnemesis, cucumber. if someone can tell me whz cucumber causes maddening heartburn, please fill me in. i seem to be doing ok so far though, and the sandwich was delicious and for onlz 5 bucks.

then i headed up to the castle, using the funicular. good views from the top, can see snowcapped peaks all aorund, i think i even saw the mountain we skied on the other daz.

then some more walking through town and down to the house of Joe Prišnik, the local architectural genious. he died in the 50s and his house hasnćt been touched since reallz. i didn't reallz care too much about the architecture stories but to see the old houes was interesting. i was the onlz one on the half hour tour, not too manz tourists around this time of zear apparantlz.

the rest of the daz ićve been just kind of wandering, went ot the big park just outside downtown, walked around a lot. now i sitll have 6 hrs until mz train and nothing reallz to do. so ićll just fill that with a few hours of intenret. its cheaper here at the tourist info place (one euro for half an hour) but the computers use linux and half the websites donćt work, or all the features donćt work. so i will trz to find another one soon after some supper.

beautiful sunnz daz, about 3 degrees todaz. beautiful sightseeing weather.

off again to find some grub for supper. god i hate eating in restaurants bz mzself. mazbe ićll trz out the mcdonalds i keep seeing an ad for this big burger that looks zummz. yummy even. stupid y's and z's.

see zou in germanz, or mazbe ina couple of hours.

Advertisement



12th February 2009

Hello Munich!
Hi Jason: Thanks for the Ljubljana pronunciation-- a tough one. I thought the Scotch had some dandies but nothing like this! Now you're visiting a place I've actually BEEN in so I can imagine your surroundings. Beautiful city, clean, well-laid out. Language MUCH easier to decipher. Enjoy your time there -- following your progress with interest. Bye, N.
13th February 2009

Hi
Jason, I really enjoy reading about your trip. I check it every morning before I go to work. Take care, Helen

Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb