It's Like A Meat Burger But Without the Burger


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
December 6th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had been fore-warned that there was some work being done at Park Hotel thay may cause a little disturbance from 9-5. We had set our alarm for nine so that we could waken \ without the sound of drilling. Around twenty past eight we were woken by the sound of hammering; we ignored it and continued to lay in bed until the incessant drilling began just before nine. We couldn't stand the loudness of it and reluctantly got up and went for breakfast.

Surprisingly breakfast was completely worth getting up for. There was cereal, bread, spreads, cheese, meats, cooked stuffs, juices and hot Chocolate etc. We thoroughly enjoyed it and Rob had a field day with it being unlimited.

Somehow we have managed to get a broken piece of the stylus stuck in the pda and so we spent a while trying to unstick that and re-sewing trousers that desperately need throwing away.

We had a walk in to town with nothing planned except to have a mooch around. We stopped off at a travel agency to buy tickets for the ice hockey game tomorrow. We bought those tickets and then enquired as to the availability of basketball tickets for the evening. The travel agent was lovely and helpful but she couldn't sell us tickets as they had sold their portion;so we had to walk up to the stadium. The stadium is considered central but is actually a bit of a walk when you're not entirely sure where you are going. It turned out that the city's main sports venue is directly opposite the country's primary brewery. The tickets for the game weren't cheap, however we were assured that it was an important game and would therefore have a lot of atmosphere.

The sun set and the temperature dropped rather quickly. All the Christmas lights were turned on and the centre became busy with people soaking up the atmosphere and appreciating the festive markets etc. Despite the fantastic smells of the sausages wafting from the stalls, we opted for the much cheaper option of a pizza slice from a recommended Lonely Planet "cheap eat".

Back at the hotel we discovered that whilst the free internet is fantastic, they have blocked you from downloading programs so uploading pictures to the travelblog is impossible. We found ourselves with little to do on the internet and decided Instead to check out the dubiously named "meeting area". There was nobody around but there was a tv that showed English language movies so we watched a bit of a Nicholas Cage film where he can see into the future. I got pretty bored of the film and eventually dragged Rob away to get food before the basketball game.

Horseburger is recommended in Lonely Planet for vegetarians because they sell veggie burgers. We had little in the way of time or money and so we both opted for burgers. Despite my new found ability to stomach foods that I previously couldn't swallow, I could not bring myself to eat the veggie burger which was a bread bun with pickled gherkin, pickled cabbage, mustard, ketchup and mayonaise.

We arrived at the basketball game with plenty of time to watch the build up and to suss everything out. We were rooting for Olimpija a Slovenian team, whilst the opposition were Austrian. The game was fantastic and ever so exciting. It wasn't too dissimilar from basketball movies because they had the basket played after the final whistle, the shot from their own half, cheerleaders, sing-a-long music and plenty of arguing and falling over. We had a great time watching it and we found that you couldn't help becoming a participating member of the audience. We took plenty of pictures, although when I questioned Rob about having a camera full of cheerleaders rather than basketball players he said cheerleaders were just more exciting. Olimpija won the game which they needed to help keep them in the Euroleague for next season. Walking back to the hotel after the game, we both decided we enjoyed it enough that we will look into teams when we are settled in England again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Massive SlicesMassive Slices
Massive Slices

They cooled immediately in the temperature


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb