They Have Euros?


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
December 5th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early however there wasn't a cat in hells chance we were getting through the bathroom so I jumped into Rob's bed to wait. We lay there for about an hour whilst the rude German men, completely oblivious to anyone else took their time showering etc. Eventually there were only a few lingerers so I "politely" explained that I couldn't get dressed with them all hanging around. We dressed quickly but still had to ask to get a chance to go to the bathroom with each German presuming it was their birth right to go in the bathroom first and to take their sweet time about it.

Once downstairs we went on the internet to check if anyone missed us and then set off to the train station.
We were very early for the train so I sat down to read while Rob sorted the tickets. We were just 2 GBP short of the train fair but the cash machines only give out 10 GBP so after withdrawing and paying for the tickets Rob then had to change the money into Slovenian currency. Through a mix up in the language barriers they gave me Euro, but this didn't really matter as we can always use them.

We had an entire compartment to ourselves which was lovely. We both read and occasionally looked out of the window and commented on the change of scenery. Croatia into Slovenia has been the most visible difference by just examining the two borders. We had barely passed through border control when the scenery outside the window changed.

Ljubljana's train station did not feel like it belonged in a capital city, it had plenty of tracks but the actual station building was small. It felt too cold to stand around after our warm train, so we headed straight to our hostel. We knew that the same company that ran our hostel also had a hotel but we weren't prepared for the fact that the hostel was part of the hotel. The receptionist was surly and had no time for us. We were given our key, told when breakfast was and then she asked us to pay. (so not done in hostels) We said we couldn't pay straight away and she pulled a sour face and asked if we could leave a credit card as a deposit. I told her that neither of
Brewed On The PremisesBrewed On The PremisesBrewed On The Premises

This is the last time we saw Clucky before he made a break for freedom. He will be sorely missed.
us had a credit card and I saw her demeanour worsen and before she became entirely unhelpful I offered a passport as a deposit instead.

On the way up in the lift we heard the noise of the restoration work get louder and louder the higher we got. Once at the twelfth floor we had a quick look in our room, 2 bunks and bathroom, before moving to the common room. We watched BBC world to catch up on things before going for a shower. It was still too early to go out for food so we went back to the common room and whilst flicking caught the beginning of the film Transformers; which we last watched in Stansted.

For our meal we went to a tavern recommended by Lonely Planet. It was a cosy little place that brewed its own beers and served traditional Slovenian foods. We both had onion soup to begin with and they were served in pots made out of bread. We spent quite a while there enjoying the warmth etc and as a result our cheaply priced meal wasn't quite as cheap as we wanted.

Back at our hotel we took full advantage of the free internet despite the strange system of getting a ticket to log on every hour. Unfortunately there are a lot of restrictions on acess so we cannot upload pictures onto our travelblog. We also discovered that there is an ice hockey game on during our stay, so tomorrow we will try and buy tickets.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 131; dbt: 0.1713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb