Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Seeing Lib's blog posted the day after she got back from Oz reminded me that I am a little slow with my updates....So, last month 9 of us (Alison, new housemate Lisa, Nick, Jodie, Tessa, Kempy, Julie, and special guest from Oz en route to Dubai- Mark Stewien) declared an unofficial long weekend and headed to Slovenia.
On arrival we realised we were not that well prepared - it actually gets quite cold there in May and we had packed only bathers and t-shirts; and there's lots of beautiful mountains to climb and long walks to go on - and (some of us) only had stilettos and thongs....but that didn't deter us from having a brilliant time.
The capital, Ljubljana, is really pretty - sort of like a mini version of Prague. After a day of exploring and a night/next day of clubbing Eastern European style, we jumped in the car and headed to the resort town of Lake Bled for some R&R. The lake is stunning - it's a deep emerald green with a little church in the middle (pictured) surrounded by snow-capped mountains, and so we spent a lovely afternoon sitting in a medieval castle that overlooks the lake, wondering why we live in grey, noisy, crowded London. We spent the days healthily - walking around Vintgar Gorge and the waterfalls, taking a cable cart up into the mountains, exploring various castles, and soaking in the hotel spa, then spent the nights feasting on Slovenian delicacies such as horse (well, actually, Nick was the only one brave enough to eat the horse), attempting to drink a rainbow of shots (purple keelers were the group favourite) and dancing to long-forgotten hits like "Poison" at Club Stop.
We were having such a great holiday that we lost track of time on our last day, but luckily (or unluckily) just made our flights.

I hope everyone is well at home, and Gen and Ryan CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of Louis Patrick Quirk - he's gorgeous. I'm really pleased to hear all three of you are doing well.

love Ver


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb