Tropical Gardens -Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
August 20th 2021
Published: August 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Arboretum Volčji Potok - Two visits



Arboretum Volčji Potok covers 80 hectares.

The collection in the Arboretum boasts 1000 rose varieties. Even a rose named Beverly (Beverley).

There are two rose gardens. The formal one is placed close to the administration building. The second one, dedicated to the shrub roses, has its place in the lower parterre.



Matjaž gave many interesting stories about the roses that are grown in the Arboretum from around the world. Thankyou Tanja for talking the time so we could have wonderful close up views of these beautiful blooms, if only we had smellovision!

Second visit.

Today we were in for a treat when visiting the Arboretum to see an exhibition of floral displays to mark the 30th anniversary of Slovenia’s independence.

There were ten different displays around the botanical gardens. The Flowers and Peace exhibition pays homage to the first exhibition of flowers staged there 30 years ago, after the Slovenian war for independence.

The themes we saw were dedicated to Edible Flowers, Coastal, The Alps, Castles, Flower Window, Agriculture, Waters, Vineyards & lastly the throne of King Matjaž



The legend
of King Matjaž tells a story about the good king who ruled during the times of Carantania. He ruled during the golden era in the present-day Carinthia, which other sovereigns didn't like. So, they sent an army to fight the good king. King Matjaž and a hundred of his soldiers retreated to the hidden cave under Mount Peca and sat behind the stone table. The legend says that Matjaž will return and eliminate injustice from the world when his beard wraps around the table nine times and when a linden tree grows in front of the entrance to the cave in winter.



Simon Ogrizek, what a delightful and knowledgable gentleman. European judge for floristry. President of Slovenian florist association. International judge and assessor in floral design at International Florist. Landscape Garden designer & now a flower advisor guide on heygo.

Tanja did a great job too giving plenty of photo opportunities.

Definitely a feel good factor tour.



https://www.heygo.com/arboretum-volcjipotok


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement























Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb