Bled Island


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
March 2nd 2021
Published: March 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 2nd March - Bled Island



What a beautiful day to take the boat across to Bled Island on our virtual tour today.



We took the traditional traditional boat called pletna.

Pletna boats are made by locals and are typical of Bled. Their origins date back to 1590. The colourful awning protects passengers from the sun and other weather conditions but today with clear blue skies & a cool March temperature it was so special to be able to take the short journey with just the boatman and Neza our guide.

As we set off Neza sang a local folk song.



To be an oarsman is quite an esteemed vocation that cannot be done by anyone. During the reign of Maria Theresa the ownership rights for pletna boats were given to farmers who received poorer land for cultivation. The title of the pletna oarsman was handed down from generation to generation, which is why the profession of “Pletnarstvo” remained in individual families throughout the centuries. The boats are always named after women of the family.



Before the church was built on the island, a temple dedicated to
the pagan goddess of life and fertility stood at the same place. After Christianisation in 745, the ancient temple was replaced by a church, dedicated to the birth of Mary.

The church was renovated in 1465 and rebuilt in single nave Gothic style.

The special feature of the church is the 52 metres high free standing bell tower, made of porous stone, called buckwheat grains.

The panoramic bell tower has one large and two small bells. One is the bell of wishes, made way back in 1534. The legend says that those who ring the bell and make a wish, will see their wish come true. But there’s one rule: you can make only one wish.



The famous staircase was built in the 17th century, there are 99 stone steps. There is a tradition that the groom has to carry the bride up all 99 steps, our guide Neza showed a photo of her wedding day.



The reflections on the lake were quite stunning, Bled is up there with one of my favourite VT destinations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb