Lake Bled and Vintgar Gorge


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
August 18th 2016
Published: October 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Around the evening we arrived to Ljubljana. Today we did not have any intention to explore so the plan is to have a quick dinner at a mc Donalds and search for an accommodation. After our dinner we found via booking.com a nice hotel at a place called Medvode. Compared to the places where we stayed the last days this hotel was excellent. Very large room with large beds. Very clean. Nice bathroom. A lovely and cozy restaurant. Free and fast WIFI. For sure we had a comfortable stay.

The next morning after a good breakfast, we checked out and slowly we were arriving to the last spots of our holiday. We arrived to Lake Bled.

This lake is a emerald-green lake with picture-postcard church on an islet and a medieval castle clinging to a rocky cliff. We spent some hours by walking around the lake and moved to our final spot, the Vintgar Gorge.



The Vintgar Gorge is a 1.6-kilometer gorge in northwestern. Carved by the Radovna River, it is the continuation of the Radovna Valley. The sheer canyon walls are 50 to 100 meters high, with a total slope measuring about 250 m. The stream has created many erosive features such as pools and rapids, and terminates in the picturesque 13 m Šum Falls (literally, 'noisy falls'), the largest river waterfall in Slovenia. As the first mountain gorge in the area to be made accessible to tourists, the word vintgar has been generalized in Slovene to refer to other scenic, protected gorges.

There were many tourists that we had to wait approximately one hour before we could enter. However we were with a little child, which I had to carry when he became tired, it was all worth. When visiting Slovenia, Vintgar Gorge is a must to see. After a walk of 2 hours (to the end and back) we came back to our car. It was the end of our holidays and we had a long drive to go. Next destination was HOME.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb