Horses and caves


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Slovenian Littoral
June 15th 2019
Published: June 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From the mountains to the caves


Left TOP rafting and the Alps behind us heading south on the 102/103, it was a beautiful drive. This was the longest drive of the holiday - 132km - down to see the Lipizzan horses in Lipica. We saw lots of lovely foals (who sadly didn't want to say hello), then had our own guided tour around the stud farm buildings by Boris. We failed to find the Carriage Museum or the older foals out in the other fields - bad directions for the former & they were the other side of the paddock for the latter. We spotted both on our way out though!

We then drove over to visit the Ć kocjan Caves - a UNESCO site due to the amazing kast formations and unique ecosystems, it also contains the largest known underground canyon in the world. There were LOADS of tourists but they split us into several groups for the guided tour through the underground canyon (sadly not allowed to take photos in there), then we headed off on our own for the self guided "Following the Reka River underground". Whilst beautiful we feel this was rather misleading as most of the walk was above ground & it was very hot! Back at the visitor centre we had ice-creams (or coke) before setting off Pivka Jama campsite where we'd booked a cabin for the night. After chilli wraps (with homemade guacamole) we went to the camp site restaurant for wine & apple strudel (or chips!) - it was a huge helping & not as nice as the one up Velika Planina. We tried to see the cave - Pivka Jama but the gate was locked.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb