Slovenia......superb riding conditions.


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Podčetrtek
May 6th 2016
Published: May 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A big riding day for Shane, fast-paced, on fantastic roads, with lots of huge S bends, and the odd idiot Slovenian on the wrong side of the road! Shane did a motorcycle riding course the month before we left, and he said it's the best money spent, as he is feeling pretty confident riding on the right-hand side of the road, in quite heavy traffic at times. As in NZ there's lots of trucks on the road. Passing manoeuvres take steely nerves, and good judgment. It feels like a bit of a roller-coaster ride on the back...and the adrenaline flows a fair bit at times, but if this is what living life on the edge is like...it's bloody brilliant! ?

The weather has warmed up considerably, and with dry roads, it really made for a much more enjoyable day for both rider and pillion. Our afternoon took an underground detour, as we went on a tour of the amazing Postojnska Jama....a cave system millions of years old, with stunning stalagmites and stalegtites. Rozle, our tour leader is Slovenian...I thought he was Croatian to begin with, but no, we are actually on his home turf now. He has worked extensively as
The famous castle cream cakes.The famous castle cream cakes.The famous castle cream cakes.

They tasted as good as they look!
a tour guide in many different countries, so knows the best places to visit in this region. He knows all the best restaurants, the right people to get good deals from, and manages to swing favours from all sorts of tour operators when it comes to convenient parking spots. Plus, he loves sharing the history of the region with us, so our lunch-times always include a passionate history lesson....it's all very fascinating, hearing first-hand experiences of what growing up was like in countries at war.

We have arrived in Ljubljana...the capital city of Slovenia, and will enjoy a 'rest-day' tomorrow. Not sure how much rest there will be, as Rozle has plans for us...but no doubt it will be fascinating day. He is in his mid30's, and is setting a cracking pace for our group. Fortunately, the American couples are both fit, and enjoy walking as much as us, so we are getting along great.

A rest day..of sorts. Rozle was keen to showcase his home city, and so we enjoyed a morning learning the history of this beautiful historic place. A drive out to Bled, provided us with photo opportunities galore. The stunning beauty of this place
The Dragon Bridge.The Dragon Bridge.The Dragon Bridge.

One of several bridges which crosses the Ljubljana River.
is captivating.......the alps are a dramatic background to the iconic St Mary's church on the island in the middle of the lake. Probably the highlight though, would have to be our 'lunch', which consisted of the Bled castle's famous cream-cake dessert, more akin to our custard squares, but undeniably superior!!

The food culture in this country is fabulous. The fresh food market in this city square was amazing......and they are producers of fine beef, lamb, pork, as well as sea-food. What a marvellous experience, and privilege it has been to visit this country. Sadly we leave Slovenia tomorrow, but before doing so, we get to enjoy a ride which follows the Sava river, through the Kozjansko region. Our destination is Zagreb, the cultural and political capital of Croatia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Enjoying Bled.Enjoying Bled.
Enjoying Bled.

What a stunningly beautiful place!


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb