Farewell Slovenia and Croatia.....................Hello Bosnia Herzegovina!


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » North
May 9th 2016
Published: May 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Since leaving Ljubljana we have travelled through some stunningly beautiful countryside, which is as close as we'll ever get to travelling through the movie set of a fairy-tale. Yes, it is that magical! Slovenia's countryside is dotted with small villages, and every single one of them seems to have a castle and a church. What's impressed us is how connected to the land Slovenians are.....every house has a garden....flower and vegetable, plus an abundance of fruit trees, and grape-vines. The apple trees are in flower, and there are new potato plants poking their heads through the rich alluvial soils which are a feature of this country. The wild-flower meadows a beautiful, and we even saw some cattle and sheep along the way. People are working the land, with quite traditional implements, and many of them are quite elderly. We were fortunate enough to meet Rozle's family, who live in a village along the way. His mother baked delicious traditional Slovenian cake for us, and a birthday cake for Linda, who celebrated her 61st birthday yesterday. It was a very special experience to be hosted in a Slovenian home, and one that we will treasure.

En route to Zagreb, the capital
Road signageRoad signageRoad signage

Warning cars there may be a motorcyclist lying on the road!!
city of Croatia, we stopped off at the village where the dictator of the former Yugoslavia, Josip BrozTito, lived and grew up. The village has been preserved as a museum, and reveals how life was for Slovenians living in the 19th and 20th centuries. A fascinating glimpse back in time.........

Zagreb.......a quick walking tour of the old city before dinner showcased yet another beautiful European city, whose architecture is Gothic in places, and yet modern as well. The hotels we have stayed in on tour have been varied and unique...The Hotel Esplanade in Zagreb was rather lavish! Probably the nicest hotel I've ever had the privilege of staying in. The only thing I struggle with is the plumbing....each shower/tap system is different, and several times I've had a total fail trying work out how it operates! I bet I'm not the only tourist who has sprayed water everywhere but on themselves!

Zagreb through to Bosnia Herzegovina was a 312km trip, which tested Shane's nerve on the roads yet again.....his confidence on the bike is clearly improving, and he copes well with the unpredictable driving strategies which abound! This country is clearly less affluent, and still rebuilding after the
Zagreb fairy-tale characters. Zagreb fairy-tale characters. Zagreb fairy-tale characters.

With Rozle and Gordan, our brilliant tour leader and guide.
war......things happen slowly in Bosnia. Gordon was our lead bike today, and this is his home turf. He did a great job navigating us safely to our beautiful mountain hotel.





Day 7 ....we are off to Sarajevo.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Plenty of LaughsPlenty of Laughs
Plenty of Laughs

This trip is certainly filled with lots of humour. ?


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb